1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Formal obs - not bad but not good

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by slstrong123, Feb 27, 2012.

1. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

Feeling a bit low. We get formally observed every half term as part of the NQT induction. 1st one was satisfactory, next was good with satisfactory features. Both of these were in term 1 so I was left to my own devices to a large extent after that. Had to arrange my own formal obs in term 3 with my dept mentor, who was very helpful and gave some good advice. She gave me satisfactory with good features but made me feel good about my ability to move to good in the long term and that I was coping well with my NQT year etc. Just had an obs with an LEA advisor today, he was relevatively positive but also noted some areas to improve on and said satisfactory with some good features and with some tweaking good rating was not too far away. Given how knackered I am feeling juggling NQT, being a mum and a wife etc etc I was pleased. However, the school NQT coordinator said as I knew I was being observed I should have aimed to get a good and next time she observes me that is what she is expecting to see.
    I don't think she knows how tired I am, but I feel like what was quite a good lesson according to the LEA man, is now not up to scratch and I am struggling to find the motivation to get on and do all my marking etc that I need to to tonight (as is the case pretty much every night during term time).
    Her comment may have been a throw away remark, but I feel under a lot a pressure to improve immediately and quite frankly I don't think I have the energy to do it.
    Do I just need to try and get an early night and pick myself up in the morning?

2. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

Feeling a bit low. We get formally observed every half term as part of the NQT induction. 1st one was satisfactory, next was good with satisfactory features. Both of these were in term 1 so I was left to my own devices to a large extent after that. Had to arrange my own formal obs in term 3 with my dept mentor, who was very helpful and gave some good advice. She gave me satisfactory with good features but made me feel good about my ability to move to good in the long term and that I was coping well with my NQT year etc. Just had an obs with an LEA advisor today, he was relevatively positive but also noted some areas to improve on and said satisfactory with some good features and with some tweaking good rating was not too far away. Given how knackered I am feeling juggling NQT, being a mum and a wife etc etc I was pleased. However, the school NQT coordinator said as I knew I was being observed I should have aimed to get a good and next time she observes me that is what she is expecting to see.
    I don't think she knows how tired I am, but I feel like what was quite a good lesson according to the LEA man, is now not up to scratch and I am struggling to find the motivation to get on and do all my marking etc that I need to to tonight (as is the case pretty much every night during term time).
    Her comment may have been a throw away remark, but I feel under a lot a pressure to improve immediately and quite frankly I don't think I have the energy to do it.
    Do I just need to try and get an early night and pick myself up in the morning?

3. Alie

Alie New commenter

How did today go? When planning for an observed lesson look at all the criteria for outstanding, the reason for this is even if you fall short you are more likely to be good than satisfactory (if that makes sense?). Have you observed other teachers? What is it that you are not meeting good on? Are these the same each time? Go and observe other teachers with these focus in mind. What is it that they do so that they are considered good or beyond? What can you take and put into your own teaching? Reflect with your mentor on what you have seen. Good luck :)