1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

formal complaint

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wellard, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I would like some advice about how to deal with this situation. I have been the victim of workplace bullying for just over a year by a TA at my school as have several other members of staff. Every time something happens that this person doesn't like they report back to the head and I get in trouble. I have had a difficult time outside of school as I was diagnosed with depression during the summer holidays and during October half term my husband left me. The bullying at work is now getting worse and now this person has made a formal complaint to the chair of governors and my competency as a teacher is being questioned. What happens in these situations, am I at risk of losing my job? sorry for the rambling but my head is not in a very good place at the moment.

2. I would like some advice about how to deal with this situation. I have been the victim of workplace bullying for just over a year by a TA at my school as have several other members of staff. Every time something happens that this person doesn't like they report back to the head and I get in trouble. I have had a difficult time outside of school as I was diagnosed with depression during the summer holidays and during October half term my husband left me. The bullying at work is now getting worse and now this person has made a formal complaint to the chair of governors and my competency as a teacher is being questioned. What happens in these situations, am I at risk of losing my job? sorry for the rambling but my head is not in a very good place at the moment.

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Would any of the other members of staff file grievances against this TA? If you all stand together then you are more likely to be successful. What evidence do you have of the bullying? Does work know about your depression?
    Ring your union at regional tomorrow and get some advice. Also ring teacher support network to offload.

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

have you reported the bullying before? or spoken about bullying to your line-manager? or sent any emails? if so, get copies. Collect lesson observations and performance management reviews which will help disprove allegation. Talk to your doctor too as this incident will probably have an effect on your mental well-being. As the TA has made an allegation against you, I also think it is perfectly reasonable to ask that s/he does not support you in class anymore. Good luck and keep us posted!

5. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Spot-on advice from Torey and FollyFairy. Hopefully the Head and CoG will see the actions of this TA for what they are. However, what you are experiencing from this TA is actually against the law and your employer has a responsibility to your health and well-being to stop it from happening.
    Let's hope it is dealt with quickly and efficiently. However, as FF has already suggested, to cover yourself, collate everything you have in terms of evidence and keep a careful record. Record it in the form of a table with date, incident (with precisely what was said etc), witnesses and any material evidence you can lay your hands on. You may need it later and it's easier to be wise before the event than to have to try to get hold of evidence retrospectively.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

And now you're off school with a stomach bug. That's all you need!