1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Formal Capability

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by gwilleysingh, Dec 7, 2018.

1. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Possibly no difference but.....
    1. You've described the Head unfavourably, whether true or not, it will certainly lead to unfavourable behaviour to you in the future if identified.
    2. Some school IT/Media policies forbid any posting about the school without permission, almost every teacher who posts here has offended that rule.
    3. You might be considering a grievance, such things can end up as sh.1t-slinging exercises and a selective set of quotations from your 254 posts will be used against you.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You should be able to have the rep present, check the absence policy to be certain and make sure the rep is available (easy if it's a school rep).

You can ask for work to be sent to you but this would be putting stress on another to deliver it to you, so you could reasonably be refused. Your return to work meeting should be the start of a phased return which eases you back in, so any advance planning on your part will not be necessary (and even counter-productive, given that you should be resting now).

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Criticising your employer online is a risky business. E.g. https://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/blogging-about-an-employer

I am always puzzled by the "Can I ask..." questions. Yes, of course you can ask, and, if it is a reasonable request, you may well get what you ask for. But the only way to find out is to try. On the whole, asking for something which will help you in your work should be seen as a good thing. However, as has been pointed out, if it would put too much pressure on somebody else to deliver what you ask for, the answer could be 'no'.

JohnJCazorla, TEA2111 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It CAN be all fine, but please do not go back until you are good and ready and, crucially, signed off and released to do so by the gp. I attended my back to work interview with a rep because there was a cosy little chat beforehand where they announced I was kn the efirmal stage as I had stupidly returned to the job after surgery, when I should have taken more time off and started applying. This triggered work related stress time off. Then it all kicked off again when there was a final return to work meeting...they lobbed the formal capability grenade at me then, right at the end... if I returned that September. Meaning, basically, ‘clear off this Summer term if we will destroy you at the start of next Autumn’s.’ What a vile way to treat a long serving colleague...I’d had excellent health, then a bad patch which I was recovering from when they did that. So don’t trust them. Trust the process and what it stands for, but do not trust them. This is because IF the SLT are bar stewards and IF they manaipulate and abuse your back to work meeting in order to proudly announce that, as you’re ‘now well, we have decided that we can now continue to the next logical stage of your support plan’, the physical shock and ensuing mental distress can be bad. Worse, far worse, than what you were originally off sick with. So please put yourself first, ignore their contacts when you’re off sick and be CAREFUL.

It may not go this way for you; I obviously really hope it doesn’t, but NEVER EVER go to the back to work meeting without the rep there. Things have changed and a once fair and laudable HR policy process is being exploited in some places. I shudder at the lengths some employers will go to to get staff replaced. Sadly, for many schools now, it’s all about money, cost cutting and staying just about legal while they trim the ‘fat’ in their school which does not belong to the useless corporate fat cat. In the end, for me it boiled down to getting just about well enough to see out the remaining two months and do just enough to set the two year course kids up, to get back to some semblance of routine with a reassuring date stamp on it, start the career bereavement process, warn as many colleagues as possible, and apply for jobs as I was back in post...then escape. I worked at that school for 14 years and had excellent health for 13 years, bar one surgery which I think triggered it all, and the last eight months. It’s a terrible job these days and I really would never want to return to the toxicity of it all. No solidarity or empathy whatsoever.

5. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

@Mrsmumbles what an awful experience you've been through. I am so sorry! Do I understand correctly from your post that you are no longer teaching? If that is so, what do you do now?

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

Teaching related and better paid work..one to one tuition plus own stuff. It is a different world!

agathamorse and TEA2111 like this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

They may say it is not school policy to declare absences...puts onus on interviewee to explain...if a school is picky, screw them anyway as this situation is becoming very commonplace now.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Just really, really really start to detach and cut loose. You have far more important things to focus on. I remember asking for books to be sent to me in hospital and the bastardz obliged. No no no! Time off is just that.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Mrsmumbles

And stop setting loads of cover work as well. If you are out on WRS, THEY can blooming well sort it, that’s the job of the HOD and cover supervisors. Seems to be par for the course these days. Because we couldn’t possibly invest in our existing staff, could we? I doubt SLT bother checking threads here, they have enough droogs and spies within their own organisations, but if the OP is worried, ask for the thread to be deleted.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

An option could be to ask union to push for settlement agreement with an agreed reference.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I doubt if anybody is checking, but quite a SLT read and contribute to this forum.

12. Mrsmumbles

No, agreed references should onlyvreally be last resort as they impky this hasn’t being going on and could jeopardise a future job, although I doubt it, given the recruitment crisis. Remember that the modern reference is a few boxes to click in. The best situation, I would say, is to have a settlement agreement which, within th legal wording of the agreement, assures rh ejntention kf writing a positive and fair reference. The rest is up to interview performance, timing and the nature of the next school. Personally, I couldn’t be bothered to go through the pretentious timewasting rigmarole of applications, lengthy forms, aggressive interviews anymore after I left my last toxic hellhole. If they want you, they want you. I got six shortlistings and was only offered in a different sector for a big cut, so the writing was on the wall...to maintain pay levels, take a sideways move, retrain a bit and go self employed. But I have some accrued pension. Mind you, even if I had nine, I’d set up a SIPPand still do it, as conditions in so many schools make the job unsustainable and utterly unpalatable,

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  13. serenitypolly41

serenitypolly41 Occasional commenter

Has anyone had problems here in using an agreed reference?

What happens when you get a new job offer and the school write out to your last school and send over a reference pro-forma?

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No problem with new posts...got two using the agreed reference, no longer need it.
    Part of the SA might say something like 'and any reference proforma will not be less positive than this agreed reference'. Or the school just sends the agreed one over anyway.

Schools mainly want to use a reference to check you are who you say you are and you did work where you said you did at the times you said you worked there. As long as the reference includes a line about there being no safeguarding problems, you'll be fine.