1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Formal Absence Procedures - any advice please?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sdm79, Nov 24, 2015.

1. sdm79

sdm79 New commenter

Hi

Our academy has an automatic trigger such that 5 instances of absences (not 5 days) over a rolling 12 months (i.e. dated back from present absence) send you to a "formal review". I had this last week and then unfortunately am off sick again today. Now being told I need a second meeting which could result in a formal warning about my frequency of absences.

My main argument with this is that my first "trigger" was within 3 days of not happening at all as it would have gone past the 12 month period needed had I been ill 3 days later. With my current absence it simply puts me back onto the 5 absences again. Plus within another 2 weeks time it will again go past the 12 month period putting me back down to 4 absences and my mid January down to 3. I feel that it is extreme and unfair that none of this is considered, if I had been absent just a few days later then would not have even hit the first trigger and not had a single meeting at all! Someone else could have had the same number of absences and not been spoken to at all just because of a few days difference!

Anyone been in a similar situation/what outcome/any general advice before I get unions involved?
    Thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, annoying isn't it? And my advice, I'm afraid, is not going to make you any happier.

Actually my advice is to suck it.

They have dates. Within those dates you had those absences. So there you are.

I don't see what the union could possibly do. That's the procedure and they are following it.

As I said, madly annoying, but there it is.

Best wishes

GLsghost likes this.
  3. sdm79

sdm79 New commenter

Appreciate the reply. I know there are procedures, I just wonder when common sense and applying some flexibility for individual circumstances might be used. This does nothing for my motivation or willingness when this happens. And I am not exactly a serial absentee, when I see some who take weeks/months off at a time.

Still interested if anyone else has had a similar experience?
    Thanks

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If they blur the boundaries if it is just under a year, then where do they stop? Whatever point is chosen, somebody wil complain if they have five absences in just less than the new limit. The point of having a formal procedure is to ensure that everybody knows where they stand and that nobody can complain that they are being unfairly discriminated against. Five absences in a year seems quite a lot to me.

Where flexibility should come in is at the review meeting, where particular circumstances can be taken into account.

5. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Next time you have a stinking cold, go in and sneeze all round the staffroom - and, if at all possible, in the HTs study.

With any luck a fair proportion of the staff will also get ill, and cost the school a bomb...:D

OK, I'm not totally serious, but if a ridiculous policy likes this encourages sick staff to come in when infectious, this is what will happen!

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

don't you mean in the HT's face?

sabrinakat likes this.