1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Form tutor

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ed717, May 7, 2019.

1. ed717

ed717 New commenter

Hi all,
    Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area or if this thread already exists somewhere.
    I am a Year 10 form tutor and was wondering what others do in those 20 minutes every morning (or however long you have!)
    I do 'thunks' and 'wow word Wednesday' with them but it only ever lasts a couple of minutes and I still feel I could be using the time more effectively. I am also trying to push reading with them but half forget their books or aren't getting books to read at all. There is no school policy in place therefore I am asking on here. Please note we have no technology in our classrooms either - just a very old fashioned whiteboard and pens approach here!

I would be very interested to know what others are doing, what works and what doesn't, and any recommendations :)

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Aren't you given a list of tasks to do/resources to use by your HoY?

border_walker likes this.
  3. ed717

ed717 New commenter

Nope! We don't have HoY here either... we have iGCSE and iAL 'sectional heads' instead, so things like tutor time get overlooked. Hence asking on here

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Gives you more freedom then... ;)

What is suitable depends on the sort of school, and the type of pupils then I guess. Here, off the top of my head, are a few suggestions:

Quizzes?
    Debates?
    'Just a Minute'? (seen schools using the R4 programme as a way of improving boys confidence to speak...)
    Richard Wiseman's 'Quirkology' websites/Youtube channel? [Just seen you have no classroom technology..., so I guess this one is no good. Are you abroad?]
    '15 to 1' quiz (lots of questions needed though!)

Piranha likes this.
  5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Radio 4.puzzle of the day. Pri t off a set of sudokus. Also I found that giving them things to organise, interform sports teams, the dreaded Christmas hamper and assemblies took quite a bit of time.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Check homework diaries regularly. Cast an eye over their work. Spend time on guiding study skills. discuss the big events of the school year: exams, whatever. Share their problems, discuss them, help them to solve them. If you can, give some the chance to do panic work (vocabulary for the test this morning) while you give detailed attention to others.

border_walker and Piranha like this.
  7. harpie

harpie New commenter

8. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I also work in an international school - there's a local English language newspaper that is delivered to our school, is there anything similar where you are?

You have no technology, but could the kids do their own version on BBC Newsround every Friday, with news about school events or something?

Could you keep a box of old books for them to read if they forget their own?

They're in y10 now, when in y11 could they have little revision groups? They could run them themselves.

If the kids are all EAL then anything that gets them speaking in English would be beneficial.

sabrinakat likes this.