1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Form tutor time

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by JBaynham, Jul 19, 2011.

1. We are being asked to do set activities in form time next year. We seem to have gone from the sublime to ridiculous. I have a very difficult Year 10 going into 11 form and don't know how to approach it.
    Would really appreciate any tips or ideas of how to engage Year 11 students into discussing current affairs and PSHEE?
    Also we are expecting Ofsted next year so does anyone know what their expectations are?
    Thank you

2. We are being asked to do set activities in form time next year. We seem to have gone from the sublime to ridiculous. I have a very difficult Year 10 going into 11 form and don't know how to approach it.
    Would really appreciate any tips or ideas of how to engage Year 11 students into discussing current affairs and PSHEE?
    Also we are expecting Ofsted next year so does anyone know what their expectations are?
    Thank you

3. In the inspection before last Ofsted commented on our tutor times as relatively unproductive. So SLT changed things. Quick AM reg as before. Monday PM reg also quick in and out. No admin (letters, notes, etc). Longer lunch and break that day. Tuesday. Normal break, shorter lunch. Half hour tutor with SoW and lesson plans. No admin, notes, letters again.
    We sat down as a year groups and wrote them all in INSET. They get passed down and improved by the next Year group. My experience is that whilst it is planned, it rarely gets finished and is not assessed. Over a 2 week timetable we get to effectively teach an extra hour.
    Wednesday. PM session is now for mentoring etc. Admin letters etc done.
    Thursday PM for assembly. No admin letters etc.
    Friday quiz. Admin letters etc done.
    These 3 days are rotated by the year groups (we have two assembly halls) so they do these on different days.
    It is frenetic and seems to achieve nothing worthwhile. I suspect we will drop PSHE and call these mini lessons PSHE.
    Recent Ofsted gave us a 1 across the board. Nuff said. The older kids hate it and most will not cooperate, but I suspect as the new kids who have had nothing but this go through, it will get easier.