1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Form Tutor - End of year 7 review questions

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by CMER100, May 16, 2016.

1. CMER100

CMER100 New commenter

This is the first time I have ever been a Year 7 form tutor and I have decided to have a 1-2-1 with every student in my class to see how they have got on this year. I am completely stuck with what type of questions to ask them other than the boring bog standard how has your year been? Who are you friends? etc... Any thoughts on interesting questions would be more than greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You said that you wanted to ascertain how the students had fared in Y7. I am not sure why you think this is a worthwhile exercise though. A fact finding mission about the highs and lows of their experiences may only be useful if the school acts on the information they give you (if indeed this is appropriate) . 1:1 s can be notoriously hard work especially if you are not sure what you expect to see as an outcome ( student voice exercise ? ) and are struggling for a starter for 10. Chances are the children may just tell you what you want to hear. I am sure there have been formal / informal opportunities for you to get a feel for how their year has gone although I would really expect that having been a tutor for three terms you would sort of picked up on this already ?

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Why don't you give them a questionnaire during form time, and 10 mins to complete it? Ask them things like have they joined any clubs, done anything extra curricular, what did they find difficult coming up from y6, which subject have they enjoyed most and least, a goal for Y8, etc.

We have to do tutor reports for Y7, so I'm going to a questionnaire to get some info so I can say things like 'Joe has been an active member of Y7, joining several clubs and blah blah'. For the naughty ones 'In y8 Jim intends to ensure he always writes homework into his planner, in order to avoid detentions'.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Maybe give to them as a report writing exercise?
    Ask them to imagine they have to write a form teacher report about themselves, to include highlights and targets for next year.

I definitely wouldn't be asking them who their friends are!

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don't think there is that kind of 'joined up thinking' to justify this 'exercise' as that is what it seems to be. Writing an end of year report in the style of the form teacher - to do what with ? Subject teachers often set targets in an AFL context in the summative report which are promptly ignored at the beginning of the next academic year and rarely revisited.