1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Form time rules?

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by motherofflamingcrows, Jan 9, 2012.

1. motherofflamingcrows

motherofflamingcrows New commenter

Don't know if this is the right place to post, but I need a poster of form time rules for my year 9 form, who are just too chatty in the mornings.

Any ideas where to get one?

Thanks.

2. motherofflamingcrows

motherofflamingcrows New commenter

Don't know if this is the right place to post, but I need a poster of form time rules for my year 9 form, who are just too chatty in the mornings.

Any ideas where to get one?

Thanks.

3. Make your own one.
    Better still, make it WITH the pupils. Discuss what are fair rules and expectations, of both the pupils and you (eg you expect the pupils to be on time, and the pupils expect you to have worthwhile activities to carry out). If the pupils feel invested in it then they are more likely to follow it. You can also point to the poster saying "don't forget, these are the rules which YOU made up".

4. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

I agree that agreeing the rules with your form is a good idea, but these rules should only really be necessary if the behaviour/ general chattiness is not covered by the school's behaviour policy (which I'm guessing is pretty unlikely)- emphasise that the same good standard of behaviour is expected of them as in any other lesson, and with the same consequences.
    If they are late/not in correct uniform/don't have correct equipment (e.g. planner so that you can check they are writing down their homework, etc) they should accumulate warnings and then detentions, etc. Obviously the time span will be slightly different for form time than for "normal" lessons, but the same good standards should be expected. This is especially important as it is very likely that it will be you that writes a reference for them if you are still their tutor at the end of year 11. If they are much more chatty in form time than in lessons then you won't really be able to give them a truly representative reference as you haven't seen them at their best! Also work out which students in your form concern you the most (quietest, noisiest, biggest sudden change in clothes/attitude/character) and check with their other teachers to see how they behave in those subjects, especially for subjects such as English or Maths who probably see them more often than you.
    The best thing to agree on as a form is a plan of what needs to be done in form time- e.g. Year assembly every Wednesday (?), spelling tests, planner checks, equipment checks, silly quiz, worst joke of the week, etc and engage them so that even if they are a bit noisy it is because they are engaging with form time more enthusiastically, and get positive rewards going. Do you have a space on your classroom wall for form notices? I've found it quite useful to have a section for best attendance, most improved attendance, smartest uniform, etc (it sounds really geeky, but my year 10 tutor group got really competitive over it last year!).

Good luck.