1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

forgotten laptop password

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by lizgaskell, Nov 25, 2011.

1. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

I have no idea how to sort this one out and hope someone on here can help. My teenage son 13- has forgotten his password for his laptop. Not had it long- very generous pressie from very generous grandparents. Been on the web and most assume it is stolen! I can understand this but his brain is not working properly these days (see age)
    Has anyone got any helpful tips other than those about how I deal with a daft teenager? Thanks in advance
    Liz

2. Two sorts of password.
    (1) The Windows one - i.e. Windows boots, you select a user and are asked to enter the password. Google for something like "Linux Boot CD Windows Password" - this will allow you to create on another PC a CD which you can boot the system with which will reset those passwords.
    (2) The BIOS one, i.e. before Windows starts up. You need to reset the BIOS NVRAM. How this is done varies from machine to machine but it should say in the manual. It usually involves moving or removing a connection (push on pull off) and switching on.
    Don't bother with BIOS or Windows passwords because they are utterly futile and anyone can get round them.