1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forgive the possibly stupid question...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Goldopals, Mar 12, 2012.

1. What is the origin of the use of the word 'root' in Maths? We are currently studying surds in year 10 Maths, and this word is very funny for my immature students, and I was hoping that some context might reduce the chance of jokes!

2. What is the origin of the use of the word 'root' in Maths? We are currently studying surds in year 10 Maths, and this word is very funny for my immature students, and I was hoping that some context might reduce the chance of jokes!

3. I think the class have missed the point - surd is the funny word in this topic.

I can't help with the origin f the word root, sorry.

4. It's not a stupid question but I can't forgive your laziness. (Joking!)

A quick google shows that Dr. Math has the answer.

5. Thanks!

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Anyone familiar with MEI C3 coursework will know how fussy they are about using the word 'root' to mean a single value that satisfies an equation, and 'solution' for all of them. They also agree with Doctor Peterson that a root is not the same as the zero of a function.

7. Are you teaching Down Under?
    I believe antipodean youths use 'root' as a eupemism that isn't used here!
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=root

8. Wouldn't be the first time the street has beaten the net.