1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forgetting things?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Due to age? Stress?
    Could not remember my bank PIN number while shopping. VERY embarrassing, couldn't buy stuff! You are not supposed to have your PIN in the same place as your card, and I don't have it written anywhere. I have never had any problem remembering before. DER!! I have had to request a reminder from the bank.

2. I can never remember the password to my computer at work.
    IT department is now used to my requests for a reset and a new password, which I tend to forget again as well.
    The great problem is, we are not allowed the same password for Windows and for SAP.
    We are also obliged to change our password for both every 6 weeks.
    It drives me nuts.

3. Save your PIN(s) somewhere on your mobile, disguised as a number.
    Then remember to take your mobile when you go shopping.

4. My bank has just set up some really complicated new way of accessing your online banking, anfd your computer is not permitted to store the logon details.
    I have given up hope of ever being able to log in again!

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Still requires memory to work.
    What I do with computer password is keep the same one but add a number after it at the change, so like Jacob1, jacob2. Eventually after about 4 or 5 changes you can use the original again. Recycled passwords is what it is!

6. That would involve me remembering to take my mobile.
    Which generally is flying around in a corner somewhere.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Eldest son used to work in a book shop, elderly people would regularly buy something, give him their card and announce loudly while looking at a bit of paper in their purse/wallet "the number's 1234". He gave up trying to offer security advice after a while.

8. That is what I have now started doing - it does make it a bit easier, if I can remember whether I am at number 2 or 3...[​IMG]

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Oi! Who you calling "elderly"?

10. My cheeky daughter found out my passwords and her fathers. She also has a very good memory for numbers. So I can always ask her. She may know yours as well Jacob. do you want me to ask her?

11. It could be that my son knows them too.
    I have a safety code for certain channels on the TV.
    I can never remember it.
    Son can.

12. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I had the same problem just before Christmas. I had just used my card at Asda for shopping, drove to get Asda petrol just across the car park and pressed in the same wrong number three times! (I could not believe that it was the wrong number.) My transaction was then cancelled and I had to drive away with no petrol feeling very embarassed. Luckily it was one of those pumps where you key in your details before taking the petrol.
    I instantly remembered the correct one and so drove to another petrol station and helped myself and went in to pay. My card had a block on it but thankfully I had enough cash to pay.
    I drove home and phoned the bank who advised me to go to my bank's cash machine and put in my card and the correct code which then unblocked it!
    I have had this number for years and never forgotten it before or since. But it's made me understand how easily other people can forget very simple things temporarily.

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

thanks for that, it makes me feel less of a tit. And i think I have remembered it.
    When you get these three goes a tentering the number, are they cumulative? So if I try it with what i think is the right number tomorrow I only have one chance?