1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forget Summer Holidays this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Apr 12, 2020.

1. install

install Star commenter

Do we dare suggest shortening the Summer hols this year for schools?
    Eg Let’s say to about 3 weeks and then move the other 3 weeks to the December/Winter hols. This would make the Winter hols 5 weeks and not allow the virus to spread particularly during the cold months.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Catgirl1964 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

It’s all in flux. I suppose if we are on a 12 month or rolling permanent contract then anything can happen. I feel we are sort of having our holiday nod in a bizarre sense of the term. Of course there’s no evidence yet about winter killing it off. Good post though.

Sally006, install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Didn't China have it through their winter.

Catgirl1964 and install like this.
  5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

What will happen about holidays prebooked by teachers and parents?

6. install

install Star commenter

Are they still happening or won’t it all be too much travel so near a pandemic? Let’s hope people get refunds if it comes to that or their holidays are moved a year ahead if possible.

Sally006 and border_walker like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

8. install

install Star commenter

Yes.

9. red_observer

That’s a good point but I’m hearing people say they won’t be going abroad this year after all this... only issue and it’s a huge one is insurance.

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

That's just helping "them' bring in through the back door the removal of the 6 week teacher holiday which I think the vast majority of teachers would insist they need in order to recharge, I know I had week 1 trying to climb down, maybe in school finishing off stuff I didnt get chance to do in my office... then 2 weeks for a holiday, hopefully suitably 'chilled' and then the build up to going back with results day and again a couple of days in school getting ready to hit the next term 'running'.
    Surely people have now got the idea that we are to a great extent non- glorified child minders and of course the powers that be wish to placate parents by removing that summer 6 weeks.
    I strongly recommend that we fight tooth and nail not to touch the 6 week break......they are testing the water. I am quite sure there are not many teacher right now doing nothing school based so we are not on 'holiday' right now..... we have seen the Easter 2 weeks removed for some too... it is the start of a very slippery slope !

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I read the other day that there seems to be some evidence from comparing different locations that the virus spreads better in cold and dry conditions something we don't have, we generally get warm and dry or cold and wet.

Opening schools over the summer just seems like another layer of chaos and disruption, if schools are open, why can't people go on holiday? If they can I predict record numbers taking their children out of newly opened schools to do so.

12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Teachers are still working, otherwise they'd be on furlough!

Are you a parody account, by the way?

13. red_observer

Lololololol

14. install

install Star commenter

Yes I agree. Parents will still be free I guess to remove their children from school if they believe them to be unsafe. And that may mean simply travelling into and out of school so near a pandemic.

ilovesooty and agathamorse like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

The whole summer wasn’t suggested. Let’s not forget teachers and their children get ill just like others, and many may well have booked their Summer holidays already. Let’s not forget teachers/tas are front line workers like many others out there. They all have their limits.

The UK also has one of the shortest summer holidays out of the whole of Europe. So it is a tricky one. There is the world economy too - heavily reliant on tourists. Unless the world decides to cancel Summer maybe?

Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I dont think things will be back to normal in July/August. May be holidays in the UK, but not abroad. Even if you can go abroad, how many would want to risk getting Covid in a foreign country?

17. install

install Star commenter

Yes- it’s something that has been suggested and I agree it might be a slippery slope. We have already seen an eradication of union recognition in some schools. We have seen none teacher status accepted in others. We also have heads and slt in some schools that don’t teach a single lesson.

It would take a lot of trust. And maybe that isn’t there.

HelenREMfan, Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

Would you travel in the UK though?

19. install

install Star commenter

Hadn’t thought of insurance. Suppose holiday packages offer it though in the price?

Even so- I’d be cautious anyway. But I’d travel in the UK.

Sally006 likes this.
  20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Not sure. I would happily holiday in the UK, but it would depend how the virus is going and if social distancing and other measures are in place. I think they will be, in which case no.

install likes this.