1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foreign snow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 22, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Third story on the BBC 6'o'clock news... the USA is facing heavy snow.

Why are they reporting this? I'm all for foreign news but is the UK media so snow deprived this winter that we have to compensate by importing snow-news from the USA?

Bah! ...

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Two possible explanations:
    1. Filler for a vacuous news industry.
    2. The news industry consider the UK to be a client state of the USA.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well that's just daft... don't they get that the USA is our client state?

Seriously, there are conspiracy theories!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know! I have emailed my cousin in PA. I know it's forecast to cover quite a swathe but is it really news?

Well, no. It hasn't even HAPPENED YET!!!!!!

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Now the Beeb is onto Cameron and the EU negotiations... which seems a tad more relevant.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The question occurs to me whether there has been a month of Cameron's premiership when he hasn't bopped back & forth to Brussels in a bid to look busy.

lanokia likes this.
  7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

And why do they think we are only interested in weather news from the US? Have no other countries in the world had snowstorms this winter?

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It is supposed to be a once in a 100 year event which is of note, I'm interested.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My Dad said something similar... then we both remembered a fair few blizzards like this when they lived in the USA [same region] and ones reported in the years since.

10. Mangleworzle

Well he's enjoying it:

cissy3 likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Any citizen with wit knows that when he dies he will go to the USA if he has led a properly consumerist life. Hence it will be of interest to such a person to read about these things or, indeed, to broadcast these things.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have just watched the news and been fascinated to watch how thickly and quickly the snow is falling. Just imagine what a pickle we'd be in if it happened like that here.

13. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I've just been speaking with a friend in Washington - they call it thunder snow. Looks amazing...from the safety of the UK.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK so now the news is 18 dead and travel bans in place... now I understand that it's news.

Just not the preemptive 'hey somewhere far away is going to have snow' of a couple of days ago.

15. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Mr Marlin has just drawn my attention to this time lapse video

Worth watching to the end! :eek:

16. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Have you not noticed that the weather in USA turns up here after a few weeks?
    (turns heating down)

17. Mangleworzle

That was fab Marlin, quite mesmerizing, it certainly gets going towards the end!

marlin likes this.
  18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

In other snow news, I liked this Panda's reaction.

RedQuilt and lanokia like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

cissy3 and marlin like this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It has a direct impact on ME!

I was expecting my dog-walker back tomorrow from her week in NY. Hah! I have no clue when she'll return. Most exasperating.