1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foreign products the UK needs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Aug 23, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What things have you seen abroad that you don't seem to get in the UK but you think we need?

In Hungary right now and my suggestions are:

1. Aloe Vera water. Sweet and refreshing.

2. Marzipan flavour ice cream. Because Marzipan is amazing and all of you pulling faces are wrong wrong wrongity wrong.

3. Fruit chewing gum. UK is all mint or that cherry/blackcurrant stuff which is good but here they have melon.... Orange... citrus (lemon/lime) ... blueberry ... cinnamon. We need more gum flavours. For those of you not liking the gum thing, I picked it up when I quit smoking 18 years ago and the sugar free stuff is good for the teeth.

So what stuff have you got abroad that you wish you could get in the UK.

(Oh and a Hungarian wine called Ekri Bukaver - bulls blood. Wish that was in UK supermarkets. Seen it on Amazon... so good)

Lara mfl 05, Laphroig and Corvuscorax like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'll writr it so we can get it out of the way...

After Brexit all foreign goods will be gone so enjoy it while you can. We're all dooooooooomed.

Right... now we can get on. :D

3. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

Aquarius. I can't understand why it hasn't made it to the UK. For those who don't know it, it's an isotonic type drink, non fizzy, marketed by Coca Cola of all people, and sold in shops, cafes and bars in various European countries.

But actually I misread the thread title and thought this was going to be about fancy stuff we import that we don't really need and which we could cut out to help reduce transportation costs.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't know if its the same, but Waitrose stock Aloe Vera water.

That takes me back to the 1980s, when it was all the rage, but I've not had it for years now. Available from Tesco and most good wine merchants.

Tesco launches Talisman Bull's Blood

gruoch, Lara mfl 05 and lanokia like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Bulls Blood was quite popular in the 70s before the demand for new world wines took over. I would be surprised if supermarkets don't have the odd bottle tucked away somewhere.

gruoch and lanokia like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Aldi in the States has kombucha. Here I can only get it from Waitrose.

lanokia likes this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

French bread. French butter. Pearl sugar. Well, you can get it here but it costs the earth for a tiny bit. I suppose you can get French butter too but usually only one kind.

lanokia likes this.
  8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

That sounds like the most delicious thing ever. I need some. Now.

I'd like microwavable chocolate covered brownies with marshmallow topping inside the chocolate. Had them in South Africa. They were good.

Smoked snoek terrine. Bit of the gherkin and onion in to give it some bite. I miss that.

Springfield life from stone sauvignon blanc.

And actually lan, you'd know, couldn't you get fruit chewing gum in France at one time? Hollywood gum I think it was called. I remember it being a thing on school trips.

lanokia likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

C
    Cheers chaps... yeah I wasn't quaffing the wine back then so passed me by. But i'll have a look in tesco again before resorting to amazon

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Might be where i got the habit from... though I also got the smoking habit there so ... who knows.

primarycat likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

There is something wonderful about this combo.

I have fond memories of 17yo lan outside a bouglangerie in the western banlieue at 5am waiting for them to open... I might have been a bit the worse for wear.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

M&S do it too... I only discovered it because Jake on Brooklyn 99 mentioned it ... then I saw it on a Yo Sushi menu but they'd run out (99 fans!) but the server directed us to Waitrose... took a lot of searching.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah cheers... I'll have a look for that.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It is so refreshing and lovely ... like Christmas cake but without the healthy cake part or the teeth rotting icing part... just the good stuff... minus the cake.

primarycat likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I have not heard of this one. So we clearly need it.

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have memories of Wrigley's Juicy Fruit back when I had less waist and a lot more hair. I could never identifiy exactly which fruit was meant to be juicy.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That is another thread entirely

What Peruvian asparagus in January? Damned right it's essential rraaaaah!

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

All of them in one big pot.

Less waist more hair = bizarre mental images of phlog

19. primarycat

I want some even more now!
    Have you ever tried calissons?

20. primarycat

Watermelon flavoured jelly. Yum.

I'm mentally walking up and down the aisles in Pick'n'pay and Woolworths (SA version) now.

They can keep their cheese powder though - what's that all about? Yuk.