1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foreign languages translation bee

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by minka1, Jun 28, 2017.

1. minka1

minka1 Occasional commenter

Just come across Foreign Languages Translating Bee.
    http://www.fltb.co.uk/about
    How many MFL teachers in the UK know about this and is it a good idea?

2. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

Reading what the page said about a "Translation Bee", I was left wondering what the competition involved in practice. A "Teachers' Pack" apparently explained all, but without a link to follow... I wonder too how independent schools feel about having to cough up £100 to participate while government funding covers maintained schools' costs.

A web page on the Beverley Grammar School site gives a small clue about what to expect: "A huge well done also to all students who competed in the Beverley Grammar School Foreign Languages Translation Bee in March, overcoming their nerves to correctly translate as many phrases as possible from English into either French or German. All done in one minute in front of a live audience."

3. minka1

I thought everyone would be throwing up their hands at the word 'translation' and the concept of competition.

4. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

I was brought up on grammar and translation in French and German and when I started teaching in the 1970s, they were still the focus of the foreign language curriculum. I understand that the new MFL syllabuses have restored their importance. What goes around comes around and personally I have no objections because they not only add backbone to foreign language learning but also provide something for students to get their teeth into if they're less keen on speaking the foreign language.

As for competition, I don't see any harm in it so long as there is no unfairness or triumphalism. I once entered a student from my state secondary school for a regional foreign language poetry reciting competition. She had spent her early childhood in Germany and her pronunciation of German was impeccable. Her written German was less good because she hadn't been through a German phonics course in a Grundschule. Anyway, I found out from the organisers that despite her better performance she had been ranked second because the boy entered by the local independent grammar school was a non-native speaker of German. There was nothing in the competition regulations about native and non-native speaker entries and the judges' verdict left a nasty taste in my mouth, because I got the impression that the independent school had a sense of entitlement and expected to win first prize that year as it had done in all previous years. That was the last year the competition was held. So long as there is a level playing field, however, I remain unopposed to competition.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  5. minka1

"Therewas nothing in the competition regulations about native and non-native speaker entries and the judges' verdict left a nasty taste in my mouth, because I got the impression that the independent school had a sense of entitlement and expected to win first prize that year asit had done in all previous years."
    Why tell them she was a native German speaker.

6. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

I didn't tell them!

7. minka1

That sounds very unfair.
    Here's a link to the one video I can find on YouTube which shows competition .

Not much on YouTube generally of schoolkids speaking foreign languages.

Dodros likes this.
  8. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

A great find, Minka. That indeed shows how the competition pans out in practice. I imagine one of the reasons why there aren't many such videos is the issue of safeguarding when it comes to videoing youngsters. Wouldn't parental permission be required too?

9. Eirianedd

Eirianedd New commenter

It looks like a superb idea that, as exemplified by the video, promotes a high degree of accuracy and fluency uncommon in British foreign language classrooms. Why would anyone object to that? There is an interesting book on the subject of translation in teaching by Guy Cook of OUP. We are finally moving back in the right direction.

Cook, G. 2010. Translation in Language Teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

10. minka1

I think it's because the standard of speaking is so low and videos would highlight this. There's videos for everything on YouTube but not much about mfl in the UK.
    I think a national competition like this would raise the profile of mfl in the UK which everybody on here say they want. Plus free entry for state schools whereas independent schools have to pay.

11. minka1

Well what do you know there's a foreign language spelling bee too.
    http://www.flsb.co.uk
    And a host of videos on youtube for this competition that I've never had come up in previous searches. Impressive work by the kids.

12. madcatlady

madcatlady New commenter

We take part in both translation and spelling bees and they are really good. You get great support materials.

minka1 likes this.
  13. minka1

Imagine if every school in the UK took part. Would that raise the profile of MFL as a subject?

14. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Abeille (noun, feminine) You're welcome.

15. minka1

Google translate is not allowed in competition.

16. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I used Babbel....

17. minka1

Lol

18. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What is great is that our local one also had Latin as part of the languages spelling bee and our Y8 student did really well - I enjoy those types of activities that incorporate Latin as at many schools, we are but a tiny part of an MFL department. :)

19. We have entered the Foreign Language Spelling Bee for about 8 years and really love it as a motivational way of involving all of Y7 in a fun MFL activity and raising the profile with parents/colleagues. This year we entered all Y8 and Y9 in the Translation Bee, and it was really good. Sadly they lost the original source of funding due to cuts to education, but I am glad it is continuing.

minka1 likes this.