1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foreign language references

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Hannahladda, Apr 23, 2020.

1. eiramay

eiramay New commenter

Hi! Just wondering if anyone can point me towards the best practice when it comes to work references provided in a language other than English (mine are in German). I could employ a translator - but might also need an official stamp from an embassy I heard? Does anyone have any experience with this - I'm applying to work in an international school for the first time in my career, so far have taught in Swiss schools. I'm nervous and excited and have no idea what my chances are of landing a job! Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am not sure what you mean here.

A reference is sent directly from the referee to the school asking for it. You would not get it to translate it,.

If you did, it would have less value in the eyes of the school, because they would say that the person writing it was possibly less honest than they could be, because you would be seeing it.

The sort of reference that you may be thinking of, which are references provided directly to you, for you to pass on to a prospective employer, is called a testimonial.

And a testimonial normally doesn't carry much weight, I'm afraid.

If the referees cannot write in English then you may hope that there is someone German-speaking on the staff of the school that you are applying to.

You may find it useful to download THIS to get some help with an application.

Keep safe!