1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foreign Language Films

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Over_the_hill, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Morning,
    Youngest is struggling a little with French A Level (pronunciation, confidence, fluency etc). I’ve been searching online to see if there is anywhere in London or the South East that shows films in French, but can’t find anywhere. Have foreign language films died a death? When I did my French A Level and degree I used to go to the cinema regularly to see foreign language films. Does anyone know anywhere that shows them? Also, are there any on Netflix? I don’t have an account, and annoyingly you can’t preview the films before signing up. Any advice would be appreciated! OTH x

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

Try the French Institute in Kensington.

https://www.institut-francais.org.uk/cine-lumiere/

They do lots of other things as well e.g. Philosophy speakeasy debates, conducted in French and English on alternate weeks.

1 person likes this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

1 person likes this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

You beat me to it!

5. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Loads on netflix. And usually you can watch with subtitles in French as well - listening and reading at the same time is a great way to learn. There are French TV series as well. Well worth the monthly fee.

Sally006, racroesus, nizebaby and 6 others like this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Les Choristes

Amelie

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

..are all fairly recent films that are both highly regarded and well worth a look. People who refuse to contemplate English subtitles miss out on so much.

Also, there are French language News Channels on Freeview and FreeSat which can help provide context to the vocabulary via reports on familiar current events.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Try 'All4' (free), categories - 'World Drama' - there are some French language ones (but, a warning, some are less suited for under 18s than others). Or try Amazon Prime - their video collection includes a number of French language films. We watched one (in French) about the life of Camus the other night, for example.

1 person likes this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Netlfix has loads. Films and drama series. If you end up subscribing, search under "International".

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

1 person likes this.
  10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Wow, so many helpful responses, thank you so much! X

coffeekid likes this.
  11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

... or you can still buy foreign films on DVD ...

1 person likes this.
  12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As others have said,French films and TV series on Netflix and Prime too (Le Bureau on Prime for instance).

1 person likes this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Don't forget all the "Walter presents" stuff on All4.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You can sign up for a one month free trial.

1 person likes this.
  15. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

You can also seach specifically for 'french' in the search box.

@Over_the_hill I was late to netflix, worried that there might not be enough on it I was interested in or that availability would vary too much depending on the country you happened to be in. It was kids at school convinced me to do it and it's well worthwhile. Definitely recommend it and especially for language practice.

1 person likes this.
  16. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Established commenter

Agreed, Netflix has a lot.
    The Duke of York's in Brighton is showing La Belle Epoque in French with subtitles at the moment. They are part of a group with several cinemas in London. The Brighton one used to do whole seasons of non-English films:
    https://www.picturehouses.com/whats-on

Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Some foreign language films are brilliant, and Film 4 used to show a few, and maybe BBC 2. The French film "Micmacs" is superb, hilarious, poignant and droll. I have a French one about some disabled bloke who gets brought back to having fun by his carer (can't find my dvd so can't remember the name). "A very long engagement is excellent too (Audrey Tatou again).

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Untouchable

minnie me and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Yep, thats it. Brilliant film.

1 person likes this.
  20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

If your son/daughter is struggling a bit, this site is excellent in focusing on the Year 12 / 13 specification - offering resources for all kinds of practice. Plenty of news videos with accompanying exercises, too. Plus a really useful "vocabulaire et prononciation" section at the bottom of each page to support the topic in question. Your son/daughter could begin by focusing on and learning the lists if nothing else as a way to boost their topic-specific vocabulary. The site can be accessed free at weekends and before 9am and after 4pm weekdays.

http://www.zut.org.uk/advanced/year12.html

1 person likes this.