1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forcing PT teachers to go FT?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Ruby Slippers, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Ruby Slippers

Ruby Slippers New commenter

Hello

I have been a part time member of staff for over a year since returning from maternity leave in July 2016. I work three days per week.

Our school has recently been taken over by a different academy trust. We received P45s from our old trust.

I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and thus about to go on maternity leave again.

We have been told that this new trust do not support part time contracts and members of staff just returning from maternity now have been left disappointed when asking to return PT .... they've been told no.

We have been told that ALL part time workers will have to reapply to work PT in September and the general consensus is that this is a way of culling out the part timers as those not willing to work FT will not have their applications for PT supported.

I'm not sure where this leaves me!

I don't want to go full time so would be applying to continue my PT status, but I won't be able to do that in September anyway as I'll be on maternity leave! It's also annoying to think that they'll probably be quite happy to pay my maternity leave based on PT wage, then force me to return FT?

Any advice welcomed

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You need proper legal advice, not the views of us articulate but non-expert posters on this forum. For what it is worth, I believe that you have a very strong case. To start with, it is illegal to discriminate against part timers or pregnant women. I very much doubt if it is legal to make part timers reapply for their jobs when full time staff don't have to. And, if you are part time when you go on maternity leave, you are entitled to come back part time. The position is less clear when it comes to a full time member of staff making a formal request to return part time, in which case the school would need to give a good business reason for refusing the application, and may be able to fudge something.

So, my advice is to go to your union as soon as possible. If there are other part time teachers involved, they can do the same thing. If you are not in a union (I hope you are) then CAB or legal advice paid for from your home insurance might be best.

strawbs likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Completely agree with Piranha. This legally complex and you need professional advice from union or an employment lawyer.

In addition to the issues Pirhana has flagged what about your TUPE rights?

strawbs and Piranha like this.
  4. Ruby Slippers

Thank you very much for your replies. Have contacted the union today! Doesn’t sit right with me either.

Piranha likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Have you spoken to other PT teachers? A united front might be a good thing,

6. Ruby Slippers

Yes I have and we’ve all spoken to our union guy too.

Piranha likes this.