1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forcing home-educated children into schools for child protection won’t work...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 29, 2016.

1. prioritynairobituition

prioritynairobituition New commenter

right on point

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I think it's a tricky balance. Who decides what is best for the child, the state or the parents? Saying all children have to go to a school and home schooling shouldn't be an option fails to consider what is best for the child. You also need to define what an education is.

Considering the teacher R&R problem and schools' debts, you'd think this government would probably want more home schoolers.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Hellsbells999

Hellsbells999 New commenter

I can give countless examples of children so stressed out and misunderstood by teachers in school that they spend the majority of their school life in crisis therefore entirely unable to access their right to an education - works both ways.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. gainly

gainly Established commenter

It has always seemed strange to me that parents can be fined if their children don't attend school, even though they might have done their best to make sure they do. However they just have to say they are being home schooled and there don't seem to be any checks at all on what they are doing.

I have tutored quite a few students who are being home schooled, the most common reasons were they were autistic or had been taken out of school because they were being bullied. In most cases they took it quite seriously. One boy had a fully equipped science lab in the basement where we did lots of fun experiments, but obviously most people don't have the space or resources to do that. However I have had a couple where they would very regularly cancel lessons and after a while stopped completely so I suspect they didn't do anything after that.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Absolutely.

Some years ago I started to look at the world of home-schooling because my wife was teaching French to a group of home-schoolers and I had two kids come into my form from being home-schooled within a year of each other. I had a fairly open mind about it, in part I was trying to find more as I was putting together some online materials that I knew home-schoolers were using.

I immediately found how secretive many of them are. It seemed at the time (don't know if this is still the case) that many were trying to go "under the radar" to prevent what they saw as official meddling in their child rearing. Their children literally belonged to them and no-one else's input was needed or wanted. I tried to join home-school forums but they were by introduction only as they didn't want outsiders.

Maybe it's all innocent and just misplaced paranoia, but keeping a firmly closed door and fighting against anything external didn't encourage me to believe they knew what they were doing.

I also googled to see how many of the towering intellects and superstars that home-schoolers are keen to shout about at every opportunity have become well known leaders in any particular field. It came down to a handful of sports people, a couple of tv presenters and some historical figures before there really were schools as we know them where they lived.

If it's such a great way of gong about things, lets collect the data and prove it, why would that be threatening?

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I have mixed experiences of home schooled students.
    Some parents are very conscientious and the students receive a good education.
    Most of the home schooled students who have arrived in my class suffer from stress. They just cant cope with a noisy chaotic school environment. One poor lad had to have a reduced timetable for his first year.
    One case worried me. The son of American parents living in Cambridge. He was home schooled by both of his phd qualified parents. At the age of 17 he joined my class in a normal school. He spoke with an American accent and had trouble understanding the various accents around him as he had spent his whole life conversing with only Americans while living in Cambridge. He confessed to me that the chaos of the school freaked him out and he went home every day exhausted. Was that a child protection issue? I decided it was not.

agathamorse likes this.