1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forcing home-educated children into schools for child protection won’t work...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 29, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Education is a human right for the child. What is the guarantee they will get this at home?

I can think of at least one example of a child taken out of the (education and monitoring) system to be home educated for whom I (and others) had serious concerns about them receiving much of an education.

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

And I can think of at least 3 examples where the home educated child has far exceeded what they would have achieved in school (proven by the fact that said children have gone into school for their GCSE years, and been way way ahead of their peers on arrival.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think home education needs proper checks but I read some of the posts here about forcing Primary children through test after test after test and I wonder if I wouldn't choose to home educate my child if that was the available alternative.

5. lizziescat

I don't doubt that but considering our heightened concern about child protection in schools and other organisations, the ease with which a child can become 'lost' to the system is worrying (not to mention a lack of joined up thinking)

bessiesmith likes this.
  6. lizziescat

absolutely

Weald56 likes this.
  7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

This has all started from the wrong premise about what the parents want. Education is not about giving parents permission to home school it is about what is best for the child and determining how that can be achieved. If a parent is able, willing and trusted home schooling should be an option if alternative provision, different teachers/ schools etc are not a practical option.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It is astonishing that they don't have any checks at all.

For most of the children I've ever known of in such circumstances, "Home but not educated" would be a more accurate description, there seem to always be a surprising number who are described as late developers, "he/she will start to read / write / do simple sums when he/she is ready, I'm not worried". Well I would be worried if I was the parent.

Then again I'm glad ours were both through the system before it became barmy.

ruthcharlton and wanet like this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The foster child I have in placement at the moment is not being educated by his school he is being damaged. This is a school rated 'good' by Ofsted and is no doubt ticking all the boxes required for everything yet is not providing this child with anything like an appropriate education. It happens, checks or no checks.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Home education used to be regarded as being taken up by 'the fringe.' Now it's much more mainstream and there are groups and networks set up all over.

The idea that home educated children suffer socially no longer applies and with the state that the education sector is in, home ed will probably become more of a positive choice for those in a position to do it.

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

According to who?

Successful (often just by their own standards) home edders are often quite vocal about their marvellous successes, but in my experience they are in the minority. Then again of course, no-one knows because there aren't any statistics and it's all rather secretive.

It's like having a very large Academy Chain in the country somewhere that every now and then says "Oh, it's all marvellous here, we're so successful you know, goodbye" and then closes the door.

12. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

An interesting point. It raises the question - 'Is 'education' and 'schooling' the same thing?' These days, I fear not.

'Schooling' is ticking boxes, following routines, following orders, paperwork etc. Good for producing consumers, managers and bureaucrats.

I believe that 'education' refers to the deeper experience of enriching your life, being self aware and finding joy in learning for the sake of learning. In short, this one is about producing fully realised human beings.

If I ever have any offspring, I would seriously consider home schooling (if it was feasible). And it is after working in schools that I have reached this view. Call me a 'nutter embracing an alternative lifestyle' if you wish... But I suspect this alternative may become more popular as modern schooling becomes increasingly about box ticking and soul crushing bureaucracy.

13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

School is too silly/worse to close all options out ....

14. ruthcharlton

ruthcharlton New commenter

Children are going to 'learn' regardless of the environment they are in. The question is, what are they going to learn. Are they going to learn that they are capable, decent human beings, able to function and achieve or are they going to learn that they are invisible, a 'number', useless and not able to be an individual? Because, along with the math and languages and core subjects, these are the essentials that they are learning each and every day.

At one time, education and school were almost interchangeable. School (at least mine) was a quiet, nurturing place with set rules, smaller classes, orderly with lots of opportunities to learn - how - to think as opposed to what to think. There were far less children with special needs ie autism etc and plenty of encouragement to learn what one was good at.

With the cuts in budgets that I've seen (I'm in Scotland), the increased class size and the growing demands, even the teachers are crying out that they can't cope with the lack of resources they are expected to deal with. TA's are diminishing which is leaving kids with ASD like mine, without the supports that she needs to receive a proper education which is her right.

Her experience of school has been drastically different from mine. The anxiety of being around so many people at one time, the constant feeling of not fitting in, the strain of trying to appear 'normal', all have played a part in making school a very negative place for her to learn.

Before withdrawing her from school this past year, (she's 13), I asked her to write an email in her words to the authority expressing what she wanted and why. This is what she wrote:

(quote) Whenever I go to school, I get this really bad feeling. I feel extremely scared, pain and regret when I go to school. It's like lutting someone who despises and allergic to cats into a small room with 20 - 30 cats. It's torture. I like education, not school. There is a difference which is why I think I should be taught at home.... I assure you, I'll learn more at home....the only way I'll get an education is if I'm homeschooled... (end quote).

Now, this is a child who needed medication to sleep since she was 5..and - still - couldn't sleep beyond 4 hour stretches. She was undiagnosed ASD untill P6 though it was thanks to her P5 teacher who suggested testing. She was constantly in trouble at school, made to miss breaks, sent to the corner, shouted at, etc for the simple fact that she was autistic and no one knew, untill P5. She carried herself rigidly, eyes looking down, typical non-sociable autistic stance.

Since week 1 of being home, she's sleeping without meds, able to focus for longer stretches of time, able to - learn - and she's slowly learning to trust again with the help of a very good, counsel paid tutor whom she sees once a week for 2 hours. She's laughing, talking and excelling in the small area of art that she's good at, typing at 100wpm, and just beginning to open up to learning watercolour and math which despite being in school for the past 8 years, she's very behind in. Why? Because, for her, school was threatening and extremely unhealthy so that she learned that she couldn't do, couldn't function etc.

Now, for those of you who say 'school is the be all and end all/ education can't take place at home / etc etc' before taking my youngest out, I would have agreed with you. Now, I see things quite differently.

My job as a parent is first and foremost to ensure my children A] make it to the grand age of 18 alive which given the traps they face now is no small feat, and B] ensure they have as much of a chance of being decent, productive humans. For some children, school works well. They thrive on the atmosphere, rise to it and excel. For others, like my youngest, it does the complete opposite and I'd rather she learn that she - can do - even if that means that I have to disrupt my life to make it happen.

There are many more parents just like me.

bessiesmith likes this.
  15. ruthcharlton

ruthcharlton New commenter

They do have checks. At least up here we do. (Scotland). We take our kids to doctors/ dentists appointments, often OT and other appointments, and have to provide written outlines etc of what we are doing.

Many of us are trying to correct the damage done to our children by underfunded schools where they sat, invisible and unable to do simple sums or read etc unti we have up and decided since they weren't getting educated at school, we may as well do it ourselves.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

I have to say I have thought about taking mine out and home educating them. There are so many things that I do not like about school education now I am unhappy. There is a new little school near me which offers flexi GCSE and A levels to home ed kids on a pay for by session basis . I am serious about looking at this.

I am no hippie green type but I do think my kids might be better off out of school.

ruthcharlton and agathamorse like this.
  17. drvs

drvs Star commenter

The inclusion agenda (read: money-saving exercise of closing special schools) has resulted in a lot of children for whom mainstream school is the wrong place being dumped into mainstream schools. The austerity agenda (read: money-saving exercise of forcing schools to academise) has withdrawn the majority of support for those kids. Whether home-schooling is the best way to prepare them to function in society is debatable, but clearly mainstream school is the wrong thing for them educationally.

Social media negativity and societal arrogance contribute a different demographic to the home school discussion though - in the modern era it's rare to find a parent who doesn't think, and freely communicate, that they know how to run a classroom and a school better than those who are trained to do so. These people may well be disadvantaging their children while pursuing their own agenda.

As ever, it's not a black and white situation, context is key.

18. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Home education should be allowed, but regular checks need to be made to stop either abuse or the child failing to thrive.

19. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

The TV programme last night explored this issue together with exclusion, off-rolling and illegal schools, from which, the main issue was safeguarding. I have a diabetic nephew who spends much time being ill, missing school continuity so his mum elected to home school him which she documents on social media. He is spoilt and mollycoddled but she plans educational trips and opportunities to extend his life experiences and their church provides him with a supportive social network.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Sounds very unhealthy in so many ways. And there are plenty of diabetic children flourishing in schools.

Schifoan and agathamorse like this.