1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Forced to resign during NQT year

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Bexxxicle, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Bexxxicle

Bexxxicle New commenter

Hi all.

I’ve never posted on a forum before so please forgive me for my ignorance.

I was a very lucky trainee to get a post in a high school known for its reputation in my subject. They even allowed me to finish my training there instead of returning to placement A. I was employed on 0.5FTE so knew I had to complete 2 years NQT induction. The first year was amazing, I had little to no contact with my mentor, I didn’t even realise this was an issue. I had two formal observations which I was deemed as making good progress and satisfactory progress.

In the autumn term of 2017, my partner lost his job and suddenly we were living on my part time salary. This was a stressful time and he didn’t get work until end of January 2018. The job he got was within the site team of the school I worked in. Before he was working, I had several days off due to stress and anxiety to do with finances. I sought out support from my line manager and the head of HR in the school. The line manager recommended counselling and the HR person gave me an out of date NHS mental health helpline. That was the extent of help and support I was offered.

During the spring term, the support I had was minimal, in fact due to the stresses I started to wonder what I was actually entitled to. (Remember, I’ve already completed a year.) once I did some research, I discovered that my school was not supporting me as suggested by DofE. I then raised this with my mentor and line manager. Nothing changed. So I requested my external contact from the appropriate body. I got this in March 2018 - it should have been shared upon registration of the induction.

After calling the local authority and explaining, they said that they would do a quality assurance visit to the school. Now this is where is goes downhill.

From this very moment, my line manager (deputy head) and mentor have been bullying me. An action plan was put in place but once my rep and the LA were ‘out of sight’, my support was reduced, I was expected to produce mountainous amounts of evidence, goalposts changed on agreed targets. The deputy head was even present in the action plan meeting yet he was changing everything afterwards. I was told I needed to be more proactive and arrange observations of other teachers. Once I did this, my mentor wanted me to change who I had chosen as they felt ‘they were too shouty’ for me to observe their practice. So I couldn’t win.

There have been meetings after meetings and I have been described as hostile. Feedback has been delayed so the deputy can alter things and falsely quote me on things I never said. Everything I write or say has been overanalysed and even when I try to explain my intentions, I then get told ‘it’s pretty black and white what you intended’. There is far more but really, it feels like they didn’t like being pulled up on the induction and then they punish me for wanting to be the best teacher I can be. And when I say that their response is ‘ah so you aren’t a good teacher.’ It’s incredibly frustrating to have everything you say, write or do skewered to the point you don’t even recognise the person they’re trying to say you are.

Anyway, they gave me a letter saying they couldn’t recommend me to pass. So I was advised to leave, resign and bank my two successful terms. I have done this. My reference includes an absolute lie from the head on why I am leaving and not completing the induction - he’s actually said it’s due to my masters degree and my own personal issues. Which isn’t true. It was due to communication breakdown between myself and the school and my rep alluded that the school may not pass me, anyway, despite what I do. And they report my mentor has started to fill out is disgustingly biased, filled with lies and twisting everything. For example, I offered to complete an extracurricular activity over the next few weeks despite leaving the school, for the students’ sake. However, last week, when I had to tell the students I was leaving, it became too overwhelming. I communicated this to my HoD who was happy for me to withdraw from the extracurricular activity and understood. In the report, they’ve used this ‘evidence’ against my communication with the school. How can they do this? It’s awful.

I’m completing disillusioned by this experience, I don’t know if I’ll ever work in secondary again because of it. The workplace I once loved more than my own home, became an unwelcoming and deceitful environment. Not one person involved in my induction, head included, came to say goodbye to me. Only my head of department and she was heartbroken.

I’m heartbroken and I just hope there are NQTs out there that have been in a similar situation and recovered from it and gone on to succeed?

Sadly,

A broken NQT