1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

forced to move GP?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bkc78, Dec 1, 2011.

1. bkc78

bkc78 New commenter

Hi

Just after some advice really,.....I work in London but live in Manchester so go home every weekend. I do not have any lessons monday morning so took it upon myself to arrange for a urgent consultation appointment at that time as no lessons need covering etc. The head asked to see me and said that "I need to look for consultant etc down where I work as it is not fair to ask for 2 periods off to attend an appt in Manchester". At first I thought okay she may have a point. But now I have found out that staff members who live not very far from the school have taken afternoons off to attend appointments and they have to had their lessons covered!
    where do I stand on this? I've actually got to have an operation soon and that will be in Manchester as that is where my consultant is based...I know the head will bring up the same issue again....please advise

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Quite possibly your operation would also be best scheduled in Manchester if your family is there to provide post-operative support. And changing it might mean a long wait to get on the list again.
    It sounds as if you are fortunate that your timetable means you can make an appointment without affecting teaching time, but you might not be so lucky next year. I seem to remember something in the news about making it easier for people to register with a GP near work rather than home.
    So maybe the thing would be to point out that for this op, Manchester is going to make much more sense, but to offer to look at registering down south for next September.

3. bkc78

bkc78 New commenter

thanks for this

4. I regularly take time off for hospital check ups near my parents where I underwent treatment while unwell 2 years ago. I need a whole day off to attend and no one has ever complained!

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

That doesn't mean that they shouldn't/couldn't complain.

6. ...sounds like your HT is a bit of a hypocrite. I mean, if faced with what you have experienced, I would have said "tough" I am going whether you like it not...call it having balls but when you have already tried your utmost to arrange a medical so it doesnt inconvenience the school and then they turn round and become awkward about means your doesnt give a **** about your welfare...I speak through bitter experience!!

7. Is it even possible to register with a GP in a different place from where you live? (I don't know the answer to this.)
    When I lived in London there were three practices within 5 mins walk of my house and it took me 6 months to get accepted at one of them because they all said they had no space (and directed me to one of the others who said the same thing.)
    Also, it is all very well when you need an appointment for something which does not impede your ability to work on that day but what if you came down with something on a Sunday night which made you feel really rough and you weren't well enough to go all the way to London to see the doctor? What if you needed a home visit?

8. netmum

netmum New commenter

I don't think the above is correct. I was refused to register with a GP in the area I was moving to until I actually moved as I wasn;t in their catchment despite only being a mile out. All practices local to me have areas you must live within to be registered at their practice.

My husband lives a similar sort of distance away from work as the OP - he lodges in the area he teaches in and not always at the same place. He once became ill whilst away and had to visit a doctor on an emergency basis. there is no way he would be allowed to register down there.