1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Force meter results

Discussion in 'Science' started by missiongeography, Jan 4, 2019.

1. missiongeography

missiongeography New commenter

I´ve been given a Year 6 class and working with on Forces. Due to our circumstances I was wondering if somebody could supply the results for the experiment involving Newton Force meter and weight.

Thanks.

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If you are going to make up results you can simply multiply the mass in kg by 10 (or 9.8 if you want to be more accurate) to give the weight in newtons.

However it does seem a bit pointless if you don't do the experiment. A quick search on line shows you can buy a newton force meter for less than £5. Are things really that tight?

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

If you want to make it more interesting fill large plastic bottles with star dust (sand) to simulate the weight on different planets. Start with 100g mass which represents 1N get them used to the convertion of several masses to Newton’s on earth.
    For brighter children You can then introduce the idea of why there is a force on earth, they might know about gravity. They might know that in space they feel weightless but on the moon they weigh less. They can measure the force on different planets with your special bottles of stardust from different planets, arrange the sand mass to correspond to the force on these planets ( useful to paint the bottles to mask the sand), this can be an extension activity.

phlogiston likes this.
  4. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

For a small cost you can make your own newton meters - my bottom sets love doing it. Just costs me about 10-20 cheap springs.

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Indeed you can. Here's a video showing how to do it, there are several others if you do a search.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Or borrow them from your friendly local secondary school for the cost of the time to get them,

bonxie likes this.