1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Force diagrams

Discussion in 'Science' started by bexnorris, Dec 2, 2009.

1. I am a PGCE student and will be teaching a top set yr 9 class the 9J topic. On the school scheme of work it says to show them a video on gravity which the school has lost and then draw a force diagram to show how the force of attraction changes as the rocket travels from the earth to the moon. Does anyone have any ideas what i could do instead to get this idea across/ a video I can access from somewhere that shows this, or even a foce diagram that shows this that as a last resort I could just ask them to copy and use to explain to them what is happening. Many Thanks Becky

2. I am a PGCE student and will be teaching a top set yr 9 class the 9J topic. On the school scheme of work it says to show them a video on gravity which the school has lost and then draw a force diagram to show how the force of attraction changes as the rocket travels from the earth to the moon. Does anyone have any ideas what i could do instead to get this idea across/ a video I can access from somewhere that shows this, or even a foce diagram that shows this that as a last resort I could just ask them to copy and use to explain to them what is happening. Many Thanks Becky

3. You could get them to draw a graph to show it? You can use F = GMm/r2 to work out the sizes between the moon and earth. Ask them why zero isn't in the middle and to describe the relationships in detail.

4. I have used (modified) the Space Ship One Activity on the Upd8 website: I included an additional activity on force diagrams on the spacecraft.

5. Rhysboy

Rhysboy New commenter

If I remember correctly, there is an activity on Frameowkr science where the pupils have to sequence a set of cards that show a rocket leaving Earth (or is it an astronaut in space?).

6. Rhysboy

Rhysboy New commenter

Just found it - it is in 9Jd if you have Framework science.
    If not, I could email you it.
    Post your address if you want it.

7. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

Any use

http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/lunar-lander

http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/forces-and-motion