1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foraging

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I can't resist free food. At the moment there an abundance of wild cherries everywhere. It looks as if it'll be a bumper year for blackberries too. But almost no one else picks them. How can they resist?!

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I pick blackberries and make jam and jelly. Jam first, usually, in case it's not a bumper year, then jelly when I discover it is. Also sloes for sloe gin.
    Sea beet is a wonderful spinach substitute.
    Wild garlic is good and always has been but it's become hugely trendy in the last few years, so I need to know where to find it.
    Crab apples and damsons are useful too.
    Elderberries I tend to leave because I don't like them.
    (I am clearly a bit tight with money...)

Nealswife and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yep - reckon they'll be some blackberries ripe within a couple of weeks (if the sun ever shones again!. I was picking them in July last year.

Wild cherries? Never seen those - or perhaps I wouldn't recognise them. Do they taste like other cherries? I love cherries, but they are so expensive to buy.

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

All the bugs in them give you free protein! Yum!

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Some years ago my sister made sloe gin. It was one of the most wonderful drinks I have ever tasted. I'm not a great one for foraging because I'm not sure what is good and what isn't.

Nealswife likes this.
  6. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Nettles, elder, black berries, wild garlic, crab apples, apples and plums - annual gatherings with linden tea, honeysuckle, camomile, calendula, with and milk thistle and dandelion concoctions.
    By the seam kelp, sea spinach, sampfire and mallow.
    There is loads around but picking and cleaning is tedious - but worth it for nutritional values.
    I have jars of home made herbs, jams, powders and frozen foraged foods - doing it for 30 odd years.
    More people should do it. There is so much out there - never touch mushrooms as not expert, except in France where everyone knows what to gather, even truffles.

knitone, Lidnod and mothorchid like this.
  7. Nealswife

The price you pay for organic and fresh, not irradiated dead ones inside. :eek:o_O

8. Nealswife

No one recognises raspberries - loads int he woods. Daily crops.

magic surf bus likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Mrs. M. reported finding some ripe blackberries on a dog walk a few days ago which is very early for here. We always pick lots for apple and blackberry pies and crumbles.

Last year a group of us picked hedgerow fruits for some traditional preserves as a fund raiser including rose hips, haws (from hawthorn), elderberries, blackberries, rowan berries and crab apples. Initially I was a bit suspect as these things aren't used much any more and I thought it might be because they aren't very nice, turned out the preserves are delicious, the problem is they are often really fiddly to pick.

Nealswife and mothorchid like this.
  10. Nealswife

Another easy good one - wild rose hips with crab apple jelly - all boiled together until thick syrup - great for winter. So simple.

I make crab apple lemon marmalade - thick rinds and so colourful - can be frozen even.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have done some foraging courses. It is too late now for the best of the greens - nettles, sorrel, vetch, yarrow, wild garlic.

I haven't spotted any wild cherries but it looks as if there will be lots of blackberries.

Dragonlady30 and Mangleworzle like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I grow sorrel in the veg patch, it's a really easy perennial salad leaf, much tastier than lettuce. It went to seed about a month ago, then I cut off the seed heads and the plants are now producing a second crop of leaves.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you're at the beach, Sea Radish is worth a try - tastes exactly like (drum roll) radish.

Also Scurvy Grass, which sounds horrible but is the basis for wasabi - a bit peppery.

Plus there's always various types of seaweed.

We've got enough bulbous red raspberries in our back garden to keep us going - a bumper year. We've scoffed the yellow ones already. The loganberries have done well too. Loads of blackberries growing out on our walking routes.

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I forgot bullaces (wild plums) which I have growing in the garden, so they may not count. But on a good year I have picked them from hedges too.
    Here in Norfolk, samphire is very popular, especially with the London crowd, but you have to live locally to be allowed to gather it on the marshes legally. Never seen anyone stopped though.

15. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

I’m lucky to live near some reliable fields for mushrooms. Field and horse mushrooms look exactly like - well, mushrooms - but have so much more flavour than insipid farmed ones. Autumn breakfast treat.
    C3A87CB9-AA8C-40DA-B429-818642B72427.jpeg
    BF7FA37D-0AF9-417B-BD9D-F8C60A5E28EA.jpeg

There’s only one poisonous mushroom that looks similar to the edible ones - the Yellow Stainer. If you cut the mushroom stem (which you should, as pulling them up can damage the underground mycelium) it looks bright yellow. They’re not deadly poisonous, but best avoided. Not that I’ve ever seen any, I don’t think they’re common.

2A625CA3-D8FE-4E15-9CC5-995EE48532CE.jpeg

colpee, sbkrobson and Mangleworzle like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

be careful - a lot of wild mushrooms are poisonous.

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Now there's a happy thought!! :(:D

18. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I have a favourite patch of wild garlic in the woods which is far enough off the beaten track for no one else to harvest it. There are a few wild raspberries round here but they're not very good. Sloes are plentiful for gin and we have bullaces at the top of the road. More exotically there are also dewberries, a kind of blackberry with a blueish bloom, and wineberries, a yellow Japanese blackberry garden escapee. I made a pretty pink jelly out of them a couple of years ago but they got flailed last year before they fruited.

My mother in law once phoned me to ask my opinion of the white mushrooms growing on her lawn. I told her not to eat them as I couldn't identify them from the description 'white', and some of the most poisonous toadstools are white. She ate then anyway, and luckily they were ok!

Our local area was famous for growing 'winesours', a type of sour plum. I always hope that I might happen upon some but I've not had any luck so far. The supposedly only remaining three trees are in the garden of the farm across the road. He took a cutting and gave it to the primary school but I've never heard anything about it since.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Or as somebody who knows their fungus once said to me; "All fungus can be eaten once." :)

jellycowfish and bombaysapphire like this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Nom.
    Breakfast of Champignons.

sadscientist and Mangleworzle like this.