1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foraging...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by freckle06, Aug 17, 2019.

1. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Have just been for an afternoon of damson foraging. Am going to make damson vodka tonight and damson jam tomorrow.

Planning on sloes next weekend for the sloe gin.

What have you been foraging?

nick909 likes this.
  2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I might pick some blackberries next week. I tend to do more foraging in spring - nettles, wild garlic and this year I know how to identify vetch and sorrel. I did a foraging course in May.

nick909, Lara mfl 05 and freckle06 like this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I do sloe gin every year.

freckle06 likes this.
  4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I spotted a load of cow parsley in the woods this morning and a quick revisit with an identification book confirmed it was that and not hemlock, which is scarily similar, but I've decided to still not take the risk...just not worth it! Anyway, if didn't have a huge number of leaves, so not that worth it anyway. On the look out for alexanders too, but not seen any.

Back home we get a lot of sea veg. Sea purslane in abundance, also sea kale and sea beet. It's all getting on the large, tougher side by this time of year but smaller, tender leaves can still be found. We also get pignuts and mallow in abundance, but I'm not convinced by mallow as a foodstuff! Too slimy when cooked!

primarycat likes this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Hemlock is the only member of the umbelliferae family with smooth stalks. They're also mottled.

bonxie and nick909 like this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

To be honest, I'd be more worried about accidentally pulling up giant hogweed!

nick909 likes this.
  7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We don't have to go far to forage!
    The hedgerows around our paddocks are full of sloes and blackberries, and the paddocks full of field mushrooms. This means we can pick or own breakfast when we collect the eggs and make a mushroom omelette! Yum yum.
    Got some real vintage slow gin so I won't make that this year. I made some rhubarb gin and am hoping to do a fig gin shortly.................not foraged but yummy.
    There are a few 'wild' mirabelle trees around here and they are quite delicious.....if a little fiddly with the stones.

primarycat, freckle06 and nick909 like this.
  8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, but cow parsley stalks can also have purplish stain - not mottled admittedly!

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Quite different leaves, though.

10. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

What would you do with cow parsley? I thought it could give you a nasty headache if you mistook it for elderflower when making cordial (had plenty of that this year)?

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

You can use the leaves as a herb. Similar flavour to chervil, although a little more sharp and bitter. Only needs small quantities. It's often known as wild chervil.

freckle06 likes this.
  12. bombaysapphire

You can use the stems like celery in stocks and soups. We were advised to chop them very finely on my course.

freckle06 and nick909 like this.
  13. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

5 pots of damson jam made. Still have just under a kilo. What to make next...? Was thinking crumble but not sure it'll have a lot of substance...?

14. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Have now found a few large patches of samphire which I'm very excited about, as I'd previously thought the samphire in the marshes in the river mouth near us was only accessible by rowing boat. Still have to time the tides a little, but they're just off a footpath through some beautiful woodland along the river bank and mouth, which makes it a fine trip out and only a ten minute drive or forty minute walk out from the house.

I read up just before heading out and it's illegal to pull it up, but cutting the tender tips off is fine (plus the lower stems are too fibrous to eat), so that's what we did. M and I had a fine time picking it with lovely views.

freckle06 and primarycat like this.
  16. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I have 2 litres of sloe gin in jars that can sit until Christmas.

freckle06 and nick909 like this.
  17. bombaysapphire

primarycat likes this.
  18. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

My usual sloe hedge has been ruined, but my mum has found some more. Plus, I now have my grandad’s recipe which makes me very very happy. :)

bombaysapphire and primarycat like this.