1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For your information, posted without comment.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jonntyboy, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

As a teacher whose first duty is to protect the children I teach I find this difficult to comment on.

For a different (later) perspective and more info, if you have time, there is this. (Note that "Desmond" is now older than in the first video, which shows some footage from when he was 8).

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Is there no child protection in the USA? While I respect that people can dress as they choose surely child exploitation is a problem?

3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I don't know how the child protection system works in the USA. They must have one. I have a cousin who works in the field here in the UK, often at the sharp end and I don't think she would be happy with what is happening with this little boy, but in honesty I haven't asked her. I could email her a link.
    Maybe one of our Stateside colleagues can enlighten us further...

4. needabreak

Yes maybe @artboyusa ... we are turning to him a lot these days. I would never have heard about it but for this thread and its actually quite disturbing all round.

artboyusa likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Was Britain any better?

'Minipops' (Channel 4) in 1983.

needabreak likes this.
  6. needabreak

No, we weren't nor are the child beauty pagents but does that make this ok? Do you honestly think that child is safe and adequately protected?

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No, I dont. The murder of six year old JonBenét Ramsey was almost certainly due to her involvement in beauty pageants.

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Source?

9. needabreak

Do you think the child in the OP video is safe?

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

11. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Given that this form is allegedly populated by those in education and that our first duty is child protection, I'm surprised that this hasn't gathered more comment. That this little lad could exist like this is unbelievable to me - dancing in gay bars at age 11 for "tips", posing in gay pride parades before puberty?

I know that there is no mileage in such a topic for the usual cast of anti-UK government types, even though some of them claim to be teachers, but even so...

Do some think that to criticize this kid's Mum is to damage their woke credentials, I wonder?

Has the lad ever had the opportunity to lead a normal boy's life?

12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

13. needabreak

Er I think I have made a significant contribution, you're welcome.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm sure the first responders have notified the authorities.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

As far as I can tell no laws are being broken. Because, unfortunately, its not against the law for a parent to use a child to project their own pathologies.

17. needabreak

Ok. Is it illegal to put a child at risk of abuse at the hands of other adults unsupervised, and to objectify them for other peoples gratification for financial gain?

*Wonders about the parents in the Michael Jackson case.

Some links should come with a warning... you just can't un-see the inappropriateness.

Edit - thank you for your reply.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Ask me if it's immoral and I can give you a confident answer.

19. needabreak

I guess I know you're answer, you are a teacher after all, however I was more interested in the way social services in the States would view this. I know someone who had fostered lots of children in the States over the years and had supervision and guidance as well as clear guidelines. It looks as though birth parents are once again not subject to the same scrutiny and it rarely ends well in such cases.:(

20. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Yes, indeed - thanks. I was wondering where the others were - the ones who are normally so vocal on these threads, never seeming unwilling to put their oar in.

But one is expecting too much from some, I suppose, if one expects principles and integrity...