1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For those who enjoy a trip down memory lane

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jun 5, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

The thread about chlorinated chicken prompted me to seach for comparative household expenditure over the decades and I came across this site. https://www.retrowow.co.uk/index.html which has all manner of stuff that may either bring back forgotten memories or give insights into how lives have changed over the years.

On the page about 50s TV, I found this delight:

"In the fifties, the hours people watched television were tightly controlled - the 24 hour broadcasting of today was unheard of. The Postmaster General stipulated how many hours of television could be shown each week. In 1956, for example, the BBC was allowed to broadcast television on weekdays between 9am and 11pm, with not more than 2 hours before 1pm. There was also a period between 6pm and 7pm when no television was broadcast. This period was used by parents to trick young children into thinking that the evening's television had finished so they would go to bed without complaint - it was known as the 'toddlers' truce' -imagine that today! At the weekends, the rules were no more relaxed. A maximum of eight hours broadcasting was allowed on Saturdays and 7 3/4 hours on Sunday. On Sunday another anachronism reigned - television shown between 2pm and 4pm was intended for adults - children were meant to be at Sunday School! Gradually the rules on broadcasting hours were made less strict. The 'toddlers' truce', for example, was dropped in 1957."

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Interesting site. It's reminded me that one of the best CSE History projects I ever saw from a pupil was 'Skinhead Music & Fashions'.

At some point I must visit https://www.museumofbrands.com/ although my firm favourite remains

Jamvic, modelmaker and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Advertising jingles do stay in your head for decades. Once, we went to the Museum of Packaging, in Notting Hill. There was a small cafe area with old adverts playing on an early colour television set. A few of us spontaneously started singing along to, "Hands that do dishes can be soft as your face, with mild, green Fairy Liquid." We never did work out whether the woman serving in the shop was, as was not, wearing Harmony Hair Spray!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  4. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

There would be a violent uproar if the government tried to appoint an apparatchik to do this nowadays :D.

Lalad likes this.
  5. modelmaker

Indeed. It's interesting to be reminded of the timeline of small events that led to the comparative freedoms we enjoy now and the general changing of attitudes. This is interesting in that respect: https://www.retrowow.co.uk/social_history/50s/bus_and_umbrella.html

"How did you stop a bus in 1950s Britain?

There are two types of stop, a 'compulsory' bus stop where the driver always stops and a 'request' stop, where the driver stops if requested by passenger on the bus or member of the public waiting at the bus stop.

But how do you stop the bus? According to the 'Central buses - map and list of routes' from 1968, you should ring the bell, if you are on the bus. If you want to get on the bus, you should wave your arm.

What about waving an umbrella?

Mr J Dromgoole complained in a letter to The Times on 20 September 1957, where he told the story of his friend who wanted to stop a No 19 bus. The No 19 ran from Finsbury Park to Tooting. It took in Piccadilly Circus, Hyde Park Corner and Sloane Square. His friend held up his umbrella and three bus drivers ignored him. The fourth stopped, but the conductor reprimanded him and told him that an umbrella was no way to stop a bus.

Mr Dromgoole gave the National Liberal Club SW1 as his address. The National Liberals were a breakaway from the Liberal Party. They sided with the Conservatives.

Mr Dromgoole's letter received a reply from Lord Strabolgi, a Labour peer. Lord Strabolgi defended the bus drivers. He told Dromgoole that London Transport notices said passengers should use a hand to stop a bus. Lord Strabolgi thought the drivers ignored Dromgoole's friend because they might have thought he wanted to a taxi.

The two letters prompted four replies. One was from Sylvia A Sulivan, The Haywards, Middle Wallop, Hampshire, (today this property is worth over £1m). A conductor rebuked her for using and umbrella and told her it was rude and bordering on insulting. Mr A Buchanon took no sides but suggested an umbrella could be dangerous to other road users. Hannah Wright wrote that using a hand to stop a bus for another passenger was also unacceptable. But Mr A J Hill suggested Mr Dromgoole's friend try raising his hat instead.

But why was wagging an umbrella so rude?

Middle class office workers carried umbrellas, along with a bowler hat and a brief case. Working class Britons did not have much use for umbrellas. Many preferred to wear a hat. Wagging umbrellas had connotations: a rich customer might summon a deferential worker with one.

For many working class people those attitudes belonged in the past. Jobs were plentiful and many thought the boot was on the other foot. Bus drivers were in no mood to be deferential."

Lalad, Jamvic and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good grief I feel old!! :(

But I loved the brands!! :)

Lalad and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

You are not the only one! :(

@modelmaker: Unfortunately, in many parts of the country, especially rural ones, there are no longer any busses to stop!

Lalad and Jamvic like this.
  8. modelmaker

Yes, I've lived in such places in Kent. To be honest, much of Kent beyond the River Medway, is a network of lanes that busses would be unable to go down. Lanes just wide enough for one vehicle, but with passing places every so often, that you need to remember or keep an eye out for. I suspect that apart from the people who've lived there, most would regard Kent as being very accessible, but that's an impression gleaned from the motorways and major trunk roads. Take those away and you'll find little has changed in terms of the road network since the war. I lived not far from Pluckley, where the Darling Buds of May was filmed. Pick any century you like, and you won't find much has changed.

Another gem:

New house buyers in the sixties could expect to lay out their own gardens and in some cases build their own garages.

"First house on new housing estate in 1963 was a 3-bed semi in middle of Kent. Virgin garden. No garage - built own in 1964 - Marley pre-cast concrete. Needed 4 men to lift the front brick faced piece."

"We moved into our house in the Whittlesey Fens in 1963. It cost my parents £2250, the mortgage was £18 per month. My mother still lives in it today and I love that house dearly. It always has a homely feel, safe. When we moved in it had no central heating so in the winter you went to bed with cardi's on. It was a new development of 20 houses and they bought it before it was even built."

Lalad, Jolly_Roger15 and TheoGriff like this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The friend should have thrown his piece box.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Many a long year since I've heard that :)

racroesus likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

And in the decades since, they have never been able to fill the other 16 hours with anything interesting.

Ellakits and modelmaker like this.
  12. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

I don’t watch much television*, so I’m generally ignorant of things that happen in that area.

I was shocked a few years ago to find out they no longer played the National Anthem at the end of the broadcasting day because there is now no end to the broadcasts! :eek:

*When I say I don’t watch much tv, the last series I watched regularly was Murder 1 with Teddy Hoffman.

TheoGriff, modelmaker and colpee like this.
  13. Jolly_Roger15

My mother had relatives in Herne Bay, where we spent some dreary holidays, in the Sixties. Not many of the road signs had been put back, since the War, either. The locals had a habit of navigating by places and landmarks that were no longer there. To us, it seemed confusing when the bus conductor called out places like 'Cox's Garage', when thee was no garage ot be seen!

modelmaker likes this.
  14. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I also remember the TV set having to warm up, and the warnings about tamping down your fire before going to bed.

Lalad and maggie m like this.
  15. Jolly_Roger15

The little I know about football comes from watching the results, on Saturday evenings, at five o'clock. To watch Dr Who, we had to turn on the set a quarter of an hour beforehand, to allow time for the picture to stop rolling.

@Laphroig: On BBC, I seem to remember being told to extinguish all cigarettes, too, after the National Anthem. If lightning was a possibility, the voice told us to pull our aerial leads from our sets. Indeed, the whole concept of a television station closing down for the night now seems strange. About 1970, LWT used to put on horror films, late on Friday and Saturday nights, which sometimes went until nearly midnight, which was then thought to be 'pushing the boundaries'.

Then there was the dreadfully boring Epilogue; a religious 'talking heads' programme, involving people like Malcolm Muggeridge.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

17. Jolly_Roger15

18. modelmaker

Something I'd almost forgotten about, is that it wasn't until 1981 that BT allowed its customers to buy a phone of their own to use on a landline. Prior to that, everyone had to rent them. It seems absurb now.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Back in the mid 70s in rural North Yorkshire most Sundays I used to catch the 9.30 am bus from my small village to see my girlfriend who lived in a slightly larger village about 5 miles away.

The bus back was at 7.30 pm

We used to do some really long walks.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One Sunday evening we were watching telly and we forgot about the bus. I didn't want to ask Dad to come and get me so I had to walk home.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.