1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For those reading newspapers free via Calibre:

Discussion in 'Book club' started by anon1165, Feb 6, 2011.

1. If you like to read your newspapers and magazines free (you can get practically all but The Times for free) on your ebook reader via Calibre, I thought I would just call your attention to something my brother, who works in IT, pointed out to me:
    Say, I download the Daily Mail, which yesterday for example was 22.5MB. Calibre downloads it to my laptop: 1 download. Calibre then emails it to my Kindle via gmail - this is an upload of 22.5 MB. Then my Kindle downloads it via the wifi: 2. download of 22.5MB. So in essence just downloading one newspaper I have generated 67.5MB traffic, 45MB down and 22.5MB up. Now some of us have dowload limits (I am with the lowest package with BT) and of course it depends on whether you usually use you quota or not. But if you are usually on your limit anyway, then it's not worth downloading the papers onto your Kindle <u>via the wifi</u>.
    To circumvent this untic the box "send news automatically to my Kindle" in Preferences in Calibre. Then after downloading the news via Calibre, connect the Kindle via the cable and transfer it that way. In this case there is no upload and there is no second download.

2. If you like to read your newspapers and magazines free (you can get practically all but The Times for free) on your ebook reader via Calibre, I thought I would just call your attention to something my brother, who works in IT, pointed out to me:
    Say, I download the Daily Mail, which yesterday for example was 22.5MB. Calibre downloads it to my laptop: 1 download. Calibre then emails it to my Kindle via gmail - this is an upload of 22.5 MB. Then my Kindle downloads it via the wifi: 2. download of 22.5MB. So in essence just downloading one newspaper I have generated 67.5MB traffic, 45MB down and 22.5MB up. Now some of us have dowload limits (I am with the lowest package with BT) and of course it depends on whether you usually use you quota or not. But if you are usually on your limit anyway, then it's not worth downloading the papers onto your Kindle <u>via the wifi</u>.
    To circumvent this untic the box "send news automatically to my Kindle" in Preferences in Calibre. Then after downloading the news via Calibre, connect the Kindle via the cable and transfer it that way. In this case there is no upload and there is no second download.

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Thank you spool, I already do that, I'm also quite naughty and all downloads are done in school time...