1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For those of you who work 3 days a week...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by handrail, Feb 24, 2011.

1. handrail

handrail New commenter

Just wondering how it is working out for you? I am just writing my request for part time and am hoping to go back 3 days a week from September 2011. I am quite nervous about leaving my full time post but know that I want to spend as much time with my son as possible.
    People have warned me that sometimes part timers end up doing full time work- is this the case? How do you spend your 2 days a week when you're off? Does it feel alot less stressed than working full time?
    Do you still get ppa time/any time with the person you job share with?
    (sorry about all the questions)

2. handrail

handrail New commenter

Just wondering how it is working out for you? I am just writing my request for part time and am hoping to go back 3 days a week from September 2011. I am quite nervous about leaving my full time post but know that I want to spend as much time with my son as possible.
    People have warned me that sometimes part timers end up doing full time work- is this the case? How do you spend your 2 days a week when you're off? Does it feel alot less stressed than working full time?
    Do you still get ppa time/any time with the person you job share with?
    (sorry about all the questions)

3. Hi
    I have recently gone back 3 days a week and it's going ok. The major change is that I now cover PPA rather than having my own class so there is a lot less papework, planning etc. I turn up, teach whatever has been left for me, spend all lunchtime and about an hour after school (at school) marking and then get home in time to pick LO up from the child minder. If I was well off I wouldn't have gone back at all but this is a reasonable compromise. It's lovely getting to Weds night knowing that I have the next 4 days with LO before being back at work!!! Not sure how I would cope if I had my own class though - do you know what role you are going back to? I am primary by the way. Oh and yes I still get my share of PPA time.
    x

4. handrail

handrail New commenter

I don't know what my role would be yet but I am an early years teacher
    so have asked to go back 3 days in either nursery or reception - have
    also said I am open to alternatives :eek:) I can imagine it is lovely
    getting 4 days off with LO, bet wednesday is like Friday for you :eek:) I
    am not looking forward to going back as I can't imagine leaving my boy
    yet but think 3 days will create a good work-life balance. Really admire
    the people who work full time, I struggled before I had my baby :eek:D x

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I do a 0.5 timetable, so 3 days one week and 2 the next. I work in secondary and I teach 22/25 periods over my 0.5, which is what a full time teacher generally teaches over one week. I do have lots of shared classes which I find quite hard, plus I've been given pretty much all bottom sets and I didn't have my own classroom until recently (and only because i'm pregnant) and was teaching in about 9 different rooms and dragging my laptop and stuff all over the school.
    However, the time i get with my son makes it all worthwhile and on my days off I just try to forget the stress of work!
    I do all sorts of things on my days off. I usually take my son to rhyme time on one of the days and then after we go for coffee and lunch with other mums and babies. Sometimes we go for a walk, sometimes to the park, I meet up with friends etc etc. He's 20 months old now and is full of energy so I have to keep him occupied!
    I'm going on maternity leave again at Easter, and i'm going to start taking him to toddler groups to keep him busy. I'm really looking forward to a year off with him!

6. Teaching a core subject in secondary it's very difficult to get full days. I you work 60% you're likely to be in every day - so 3 full days sounds fab.
    If you can afford it and you can get it go for it - enjoy![​IMG]
    Sure you'll do more than 60% but life will be a lot better.

7. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

I changed to 3 days a week in the September after I'd gone back full time after the Feb half term. Those first few wks of finishing on a Weds (I work Mon- Weds) is just wonderful, although the novelty does wear off a bit! I do find that there is still a lot to do in the 3 days I'm there, obviously less planning and marking but still APP for whole class, IEPs, subject leader stuff to do plus staff meeting on one night and a club on another so it can be a struggle to get everything done. I used to plan when little one was having afternoon naps but she's given them up now so that gets done in the evenings or maybe Sunday afternoon now. I'm lucky, my OH picks our little girl up one night so I stay until 6:30pm to get as much done as possible so there's less to bring home. I get one and a half hrs PPA each week but don't get any time with my job share, luckily we know each other well from before we job shared so texting and phoning is no problem. On the whole working part time is wonderful, I feel really lucky to get two extra days with my little girl before she starts school next year [​IMG] where has the time gone!! I hope that you enjoy it and that I've answered some of your questions.

8. I love it! I share one class and have triples for the others lessons apart from a year 7 class. I never take work home;always work during lunch and break and stay a little while after school if things are busy. I have found it much less stressful than full time as I have felt able to step back from politics of the full time staff in the department.
    I work Mon, Weds, Thurs. On Tues I take baby to soft play then meet a friend for lunch most weeks. Fridays we go to the library or a play group, park, museum or similar depending upon weather. I love the time I get with her and have seen every milestone so far which is fantastic.
    I worried at first about being out of the loop/missing meetings etc, but I have to admit it hasn't been a problem at all.
    Best of luck!
    x

9. handrail

handrail New commenter

Thanks for your replies - it sounds lovely! I've handed in my formal request now so fingers crossed they agree! x

10. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Will keep my fingers crossed for you. Will it be from September if they grant it?

11. handrail

handrail New commenter

Thanks reddevil. I've asked to go back the last 2 weeks of term in July (just to get back into it a bit) and then properly from September x