1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For those interested in sky-gazing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:51 PM.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Leonid meteor shower - 17-18th Nov
    The Leonids are an abundant meteor shower associated with the comet Tempel–Tuttle, which are also known for their spectacular meteor storms that occur about every 33 years. The Leonids get their name from the location of their radiant in the constellation Leo as the meteors appear to radiate from that point in the sky.

Geminid meteor shower - 13-14th Dec
    The Geminids are an abundant meteor shower caused by the object 3200 Phaethon, which is thought to be a Palladian asteroid with a "rock comet" orbit. This would make the Geminids, together with the Quadrantids, the only major meteor showers not originating from a comet.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Thanks, if I remember I will keep an eye out, it's a clear night here and I was out in the garden earlier looking at the sky when I got some great photo's... Love stargazing but its chilly so didn't stay out long.

mathsmutt and nomad like this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Meteors have been a constant source of disappointment to me. I diligently show up in the garden at stupid o'clock and raise my eyes to a thick layer of cloud.

mathsmutt, needabreak and nomad like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Transit of mercury..

Monday afternooon

DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN THROUGH BINOCULARS OR TELESCOPE

it could burn your retinas out.

Project onto white card, or use eclipse glasses

mathsmutt likes this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Winter is the best time to study the stars, because there's less cloud cover than at other times of the year.

If you're seriously interested in the stars, you need to lie on your back in your garden on the coldest night of the year under a TOG 50 duvet in Wynciette pyjamas and a dozen hot water bottles.

Don't be surprised in every creature from miles around wants to share the bed with you though.

You might even find Ivar's missing cat amongst them.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 11:56 PM
  6. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

Street lighting ufortunately renders the skyward view poor clarity today. LEDs everywhere. Find a hill in the middle of nowhere is your best chance.

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Transit of mercury will be in the afternoon

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I’m not really into star gazing but the best ‘display’ I have ever seen was in Cape Verde, whilst turtle watching. There were so many on show and a particular cluster looked like an elaborate chandelier. Spectacular!

mathsmutt and primarycat like this.
  9. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter