1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For the slow cooker queen.... (and other sc experts!)

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Jun 30, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Ok, so I am going to finally cave in and buy one as am pretty sure I will used it unlike my steamer etc and I have some lakelands vouchers.
    So - there are two possible ones:
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/14566/Swan-Glass-Slow-Cooker
    or
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/12921/Lakeland-Slow-Cooker

The first one is obviously dearer and I don't mind paying the extra IF it is worth it - but I am not sure what the difference is other than it is a glass bowl?
    Do you get what you pay for with slow cookers as I have seen some in tesco for £15 for example yet there are others for £60....

All advice welcome!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Mine cost £10 from Tesco. It has high, low and warm (I think) settings. Does the job and I wouldn't buy a fancier one.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

hmmm.... interesting. I did wonder about that. I have a cheap kettle/toaster for example and they are fine. But I have bought a cheap food processor before which was rubbish and now I have a mid-priced one which is much better. I didn't know which category SC fell into...

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Ahhhh! I typed a reply and it got wiped before posting!

Basically, you get what you pay for.
    £15 will get you a basic model that does most things (ideally you want 3 settings - low, high and auto)
    More money will get you a sturdier machine. And a crock that looks good on the table....both worth paying a little more for.
    If you pay much more than about £40 then you would be getting extras such as a browning facility (I rarely brown meat in the slow-cooker) ...and dishwasher safe crock (I don't own a dishwasher)...a crock that goes into the oven (never seen the need for that...my basic model can go on the hob for a short period)...think about your own lifestyle...if any of the extras is worth it to you, go for a more expensive model.

And well done on making the wonderful decision to get a slow-cooker!

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Hmm.....
    1. I don't care what it looks like on the table as it will usually only be and OH and I would 'dish it up' for a dinner party
    2. I don't own a dishawasher
    3. I wouldn't put in the oven

So basically - I would be better off getting a cheap one from Tesco and spending my £30 lakelands vouchers on something else :D ooh the possibilities.....
    Thanks guys :)

6. BelleDuJour

Oooooh........kitchen ****! Now you're talking! [​IMG]

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Mine has 4 settings - Low, High, Warm and Auto - I'm not sure what warm and auto are for. Warm, I suppose is lower and keeps the food warm for a while but what about Auto?

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

auto is a good way too cook, starts the food off on high for about 2 hours then drops down to low for the rest of the cooking time.

10. auto is to keep the food warm once the time is up.
    You don't need to spend more than 30 quid on a SC.
    I wouldn't buy a really cheap one for a tenner, but I wouldn't spend 60 quid either.
    Mine is from QVC and cost 29 quid.
    Serves 8 (ok, we eat a lot and I freeze a lot).
    Mine is ideal as I can take out the crock and put it on the table (may not be so important for you).
    If I were to buy a new one someday, I would buy one where you can use the crock on the hob and then put in the SC setting - I don't brown off much, but some stuff I do and it would be handy to not have to use an extra frying pan.

11. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Being able to put the crock on the hob is hugely useful. I'm another 'non browner' but it's useful to have that option if you need to. I often want to boil excess liquid off at the end, or thicken - both easier if you can just stick the crock straight onto the heat.

12. yes

I did look at the pictures, the glass i thought "AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the washing up - it would only ever look so good the first time you cooked in it"

I'm on about my 5th over 20+ years

My first had a ceramic dish which could go in the oven - great for hot pots but roasted meat would not crisp

After that I have always had metal dishes and all have been fine.

Currently using a tesco one for roasts and large meals and an argos mini one for single meals

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks everyone :)
    There will only be one or two of us eating at a time so a small one will be fine. I will investigate further closer to the cold weather as I will actually feel like eating stews etc then. I will look for one that I can put the crock on the hob though as being able to boil off the excess liquid is a good point.
    sashh - I hadn't even thought about the washing up element of the sc and that has put me COMPLETELY off the glass one!
    Currently I am thinking I may end up with a lolly maker instead from lakelands.... or I could be sensible and get more baking trays etc... hmmm

14. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I just turn it up to high and take the lid off for half an hour...

15. BelleDuJour

RJR I actually have 2 slow cookers. One cheapo from Tesco (and the black ceramic pot can be used on the table and washes up nicely) and a slightly dearer one woth a pot that can be used to brown on the hob. TBH I hardly use the dearer one. If I do want to brown I find it easier in a frying pan as there is more room.
    Consequently I use the cheaper one and the other one is consigned to the shelf in the utility room.
    I also have the Lakeland lolly maker.....fun!