1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'For students to thrive, we need to accept the new curriculum not work against it'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 28, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you want us to comment on these articles why don't you re-instate the comments below the article like you had before the 'upgrade'?

3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi @blazer,

Thank you for your feedback. We are working on bringing back the comments feature in the news section. In the meantime we have added the forum links from the new discussions and existing ones to the bottom of the news stories.

4. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

It's an Orwellian world at TES towers.

5. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

'We need to remain positive and calm in front of students and not refer back to the “good old days” of the old specifications'

You will not be calm before results day!
    Pupils will get so concerned about memorising quotes that they will fail to analyse language and authors craft as a result they will resort to retelling the story which will result in an overall poor grade.

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I do - I think that they're possibly the best thing to happen in the 19 years that I've been teaching. I suppose it might depend on your subject, but the students and I are enjoying Computing much more than we did ICT, and then end of poor quality portfolio-based qualifications can only improve standards. We now just need to get rid of goals and the pointless statistical measurement of students.

7. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

I agree that teachers should be unflappable in front of the students and deliver the curriculum to the best of their ability, but I don't agree with the "put up and shut up" attitude towards government meddling. We can still fight for what we feel is right and teach to the best of our ability.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Blind obedience to the constantly changing syllabuses (syllabi)? for the last 25 years despite the professionals knowing that it is a pile of **** is what has brought us to the mess we have today.

By new curriculum you often mean putting stuff back in that was taken out during the last reshuffle and throwing out stuff that was brought in last time. All this re-organisation done just so some overpaid committee can justify its existence.

phlogiston likes this.
  9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Controlled assessment, league tables and the marketisation of education through the academy programme have removed integrity from the system. It is still broken and the sooner we see that 'life without levels' will lead to 'life without GCSEs' and bring integrity back into the system the better.

The OFQUAL report into assessment practices in schools reported...

"The detailed examples and comments provided by respondents indicate that while they may consider certain types of activities to be unacceptable, these appear to be driven in many cases by pressures associated with the profession, most notably the requirements relating to controlled assessment (which are considered to be confusing, impossible to follow and unenforceable) as well as use of league tables to measure performance based on A to C grade students.

In some instances senior members of staff (including Heads of Department and Head Teachers) appear to be driving activities, with some teachers reporting that they have no choice but to work in line with what has effectively become established practice.

Those respondents with first-hand experience of certain activities tend to feel that these are a necessary means to ensuring students achieve the best grades possible, in turn reflecting in the results of the school.
    Some teachers report doing ‘whatever it takes’ to achieve targets:

•  Where controlled assessment and coursework is concerned, the most common activities are teachers providing extensive guidance, corrections and feedback, enabling students to draft and re-draft their work;

•  There are instances of special support and assistance being focused on improving C/D borderline students to bring them into the A to C grade range, potentially to the detriment of higher performing students who may be missing opportunities to further improve their grade potential;

•  Some respondents report that subjects and qualifications are selected for less able students where these are deemed to be most beneficial to league tables or ‘points’ rather than what is necessarily in the best interests of individual students; and

•  A small number of respondents described how schools’ selection of subjects, qualification choices and exam boards tends to be based on strategic decisions around which will either be ‘easier’ or deliver the best results. In some cases students are reportedly entered for assessment with more than one exam board or work towards different qualifications in the same subject (such as IGCSE and GCSE).
    "

Mind you, this report is so hidden I can't find the online link. I am fortunate that Warwick Mansell tweeted the report through Dropbox.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I've spent three and a half decades accepting new curricula. Most of the colleagues I've worked with have done similarly, albeit reluctantly, cynically and wearily. That''s what teachers do!
    This is a straw man argument - (almost)every teacher in the land will work with the curriculum changes regardless of whether they think that they are an improvement.
    I get really angry when I see articles that imply that we're all going to sit in the land of the past and pretend that reform hasn't happened.

wanet likes this.