1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'For students to thrive, we need to accept the new curriculum not work against it'

Discussion in 'English' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 28, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

"The aim of all of this is, of course, to drive up standards."
    Remind me, where did England and Wales figure on the international scales for English and maths in the developed world?
    Oh, yes - 23/23 for English (our native language) and 22/23 for maths.
    All those numeracy and literacy hours have clearly been a great success.

Can anyone explain how exposing all children to the equivalent of a grammar school top set English curriculum is going to drive up anything?

I have been alive for long enough to remember when you left Secondary Modern without any qualifications as none were available.There was school Certificate (rather similar to the lovely new eBacc except you had to pass all 5 subjects or no Certificate), then there were O levels and CSE (differentiation), then there was GCSE and CSE (differentiation) than there was GCSE (F, I, H - more differentiation) and now there is GCSE without any differentiation.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

Well the new GCSE course could not be more of a mess than the current course comprised of controlled assessments that cover a really wide range of skills and yet count for little. They are very difficult for many kids to do well in as they have to start being assessed quite early in the course. Then there is a very narrowly focused exam which counts for so much. At least the new course allows kids to be taught before they are assessed. Nevertheless, some low-attainers are being given a raw deal aren't they - there is just nothing for them.

4. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

I don't have any issues whatsoever in the expectation that academic qualifications are rather more academic.

My concern is that every single school is teaching A Christmas Carol and An Inspector Calls instead of Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls and that there aren't viable alternatives for students who aren't academic.

5. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

If only there had been time to implement these changes properly (this blog comes as a timely reminder of some of the issues core subjects went through - and are still going through - last year https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...l-looming-exams-crisis-reveals-how-ambivalent).

Whilst the spirit of the article cited by the OP is correct (we do have to deliver the changes regardless of the absolute joke the way these changes have been implemented) there should be some accountability - at the end of the day, this whole mess puts even more pressure on the teachers rather than the students - although as other posters have noted, less-able students will come a cropper here. At a recent exam-board moderation day, it was very clear that the blind were leading the blind - no one knows what a C grade (or 4 or 5 in new speak) actually looks like! Reassuring.
    It is teachers that have to interpret and deliver, and if we fail (without the adequate time or resources to implement these changes properly) then we suffer - our pay, our professional development and our careers. Thanks!