1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For parents, teachers and the student - your work purpose, calling in life.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by sauljee, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Hi, I'm doing some research for a questionnaire and would like to get your in put into the question " what should education be base on"

As a parent: what are your wants and needs for your child when it comes to their education and how would you like to be more involved and engaged in their activities in school and are you at all interested in guiding them towards finding their calling or purpose in life? If so, would it be helpful and beneficial in achieving this aim .

As a Student: What could your parents and teachers do for you to help you discover your natural talents gifts and abilities and would you be interested in basing your decision to pursue higher education based on what your mostly curious about and so earning an income doing what you love and does that appeal to you? has anyone explained the difference between a "job" vs a profession and are your schools encouraging you to pursue a profession based on your talents and interests?

As a Teacher: under the assumption that education should be intended not only to earn an income at the end of higher education, but to follow or pursue their calling or purpose in life, how could the teacher (with as limited time as they have) help motivate, encourage and inspire the student to follow their purpose and help to identify their talents,gifts and abilities.

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

If you are hoping to get responses to your questions from people who post on this site, you are very unlikely to get responses from students still at school as this site is aimed at teachers.

We frequently get new posters wanting us to respond to their questionnaires. You are likely to have more luck if you make your questionnaire short and the questions quick to answer. Making the questions in your questionnaire shorter would also make it easier for you to analyse the results. Questions with a selection of answers to tick and a box saying 'Other, please explain', will be a lot easier for you to analyse than the questions you have listed above.

For example, this question could be split into two:
    Has anyone explained the difference between a "job" vs a profession?
    Yes/No

OR

Has anyone explained the difference between a "job" vs a profession?
    Parent/Teacher/Other, please explain.

Is your school encouraging you to pursue a profession based on your talents and interests?
    Yes/No

If Yes, please explain how the school is doing this.

https://www.surveymonkey.com is useful for questionnaires and will do some of the analysis for you.

The title of your questionnaire needs the punctuation fixing: What should education be based on?

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think you may want to consider what ‘ education ‘ is / means ?

There is a naïve assumption that parents WANT to be engaged / involved in what happens in schools too ?

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

This is very theological. I'm not sure that many people see their lives in terms of "callings" or purpose.
    Our economy requires a lot of people to work in "jobs" rather than "professions". There is nothing wrong with this. A good job puts a roof over your head and food on the table while you can do the other stuff in life outside work hours. This doesn't apply to teachers as they're only meant to have "outside work hours time" for a couple of begrudged (by the rest of the population) weeks in the summer.

bonxie likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes and students currently gaining qualifications ( but perhaps not skills ) for jobs not yet even invented yet ?