1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For English Heavy Metal devotees.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SirHenry@RawlinsonEn, Dec 30, 2015.

1. SirHenry@RawlinsonEn

SirHenry@RawlinsonEn Occasional commenter

All the way from Yorkshire, here playing in Ipswich 1980: Saxon (Olympus OM1)

Those trousers do look a little tight.

saxon.jpg

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh good lord the 80s!

Is that a boomerang?

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Aren't you a too young for that?

4. SirHenry@RawlinsonEn

Well I would say more a hang-iover from the seventies. I believe that he is holding a knife of some sort, rather than a boomerang.

I made an effort to see a variety of groups during this time in 1980 whilst in Ipswich, seeing: tangerine Dream, The Stranglers, Camel, Simple Minds, Here and Now, and a few others I forget. The Stranglers were best by far.

saxon2.jpg

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Altogether now..................................................................

She's got Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels of Steel

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Mr REMfan's verdict on Saxon was " a good band" ..... " a bit heavy metal"..... (he is a Prog fan of course )

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye true... left over from the 70s I mean.

Just that big hair... and it still looks like a boomerang to me. I have a strange urge to listen to Def Leopard now [80s rock plus my avatar]

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

When I saw The Stranglers (at The Channel in Boston c1979/80) they were terrible. Hugh kept trying, noisily and stupidly, to provoke the audience and it didn't work. He behaved like a *******.

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

The censored word was "s chmuck", not whatever filthy term you thought it was. But who knew the Bad Word Auto Filter thingy could speak Yiddish?

10. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

So where's the snaps????

11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I thought this was going to be about Lemmy - R.I.P.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Since when did the Stranglers count as heavy metal ?

...........Diamondhead anyone ?

13. SirHenry@RawlinsonEn

Well I must say that
    I'll dig those out for another thread later.

As the Guildfor Stranglers (74-5) they were heavy blues rock.

saxon3.jpg

I can't honestly remember a thing about this concert, other than having tea at the White Horse Hotel prior to the concert.

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Similarly @SirHenry@RawlinsonEn I can't remember a thing about "Flash" or the Steve Miller Band in Liverpool after a visit to Yates' Wine Lodge..... not recommended.

15. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Am looking forwards to that thread - one of my favourite bands ever

16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Oh God, Steve Miller. I actually liked him once. Saw live in 1974. Terrible. In his autobiography Miles Davis riffs about opening for Steve at some extended gig and making a point of blowing him offstage every night because he thought Steve was so lousy and the management begging Miles to go easy on Steve and not make him look bad.

17. SirHenry@RawlinsonEn

Here it is should you return later and it has disappeared. I'm afraid that the quality is not so good.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He isn't a bad guitarist - still like "Fly like an eagle"

19. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

English heavy metal?

[​IMG]

20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

When I hit the streets this was an album that had a big influence on me. 'Fly Like An Eagle', Caravan's 'Cunning Stunts', 'Welcome To The Canteen' and 'Fill Your Head With Rock'.