1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

For Bethannie - W African groundnut stew

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon468, May 20, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Here's the recipie as promised.
    For 4 good servings (use half quantities for 2 servings):
    1lb (450g) stewing beef, cut into cubes
    6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
    2 medium onions, roughly chopped
    14oz (400g) tin of chopped tomatoes
    3 fresh chillies (the rounded triangular ones, not the long thin lethal sort!)
    1lb (450g) carrots, cut into chunks
    Pinch of mixed herbs
    1 inch (2.5cm) piece of grated fresh root ginger (or 1 heaped tsp dried ginger)
    Salt & fresh ground black pepper
    This is all cooked on top of the stove in a very heavy saucepan with a tight fitting lid, or a flameproof casserole (I guess you could also use your slow cooker!).
    De-seed the chillies, chop finely and mix with the peanut butter, ginger, herbs, tomatoes, carrots and onions. Mix well.
    Place the meat in the saucepan or casserole, then add the vegetable mixture, salt and pepper. Mix well again. Put on a close fitting lid* and cook very slowly on top of the stove for a good 1 and a half hours until the meat is tender. Don't worry about the apparent lack of liquid, as the meat & vegetables will provide more than enough.
    Serve with rice.
    * If you're not sure of the fitting of your lid, use a double sheet of foil to line it and give it a more secure fir.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sounds awesome Manashee......on my list!

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Thankyou! I'll be trying this!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

*Tips head back and drools in a disgusting fashion*
    I am so making this!

5. ohhhhhhhh, that sounds very like my peanut and pineapple stew (without the beef), which is also African! I serve mine with foufou, not rice [​IMG]
    Very yummy - I shall give yours a try too.

6. egyptgirl

Recipe please!

7. I posted it once - let me find the link...

8. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/302178/4382209.aspx#4382209
    Post 13.
    You can, of course, use fresh pineapple. I often use spinach or bak choy instead of chard (talk about fusion cooking...lol).
    I never serve it with rice - usually with couscous or as I said, with foufou (which a lovely lady from Ghana taught me how to make!)

9. egyptgirl

I have all three of those growing in the garden at the moment so I can take my pick. [​IMG]
    Another recipe for me to try - yum yum yum!

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks for that link, CQ - there are some fab recipies on there!

11. It was a great thread!
    We have many of them -it would be great if we could archive the recipes somehow.

12. egyptgirl

I feel the same - I have them bookmarked but it would be so much easier to have like a database of them or something.

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

It would be great, I agree. I'm sure there's a way.
    Gail, Bev, anyone??

14. I remember Beth asking about this.
    Given that they can provide a database for teaching resources, it must be possible.
    When we first started here with this forum, we were tiny. Nowadays, we have a great load of traffic.
    I think we should lobby for a databank!

15. Manashee, do you brown the meat first or just put it straight in the pan? I'm going to try this next week in the slow cooker.

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I intend slow-cooking this on Friday or Saturday.
    I never brown beef for slow-cooking - and won't this time either!

And YES we need a database!