1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

for anyone not living in big cities

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by speaker2, Oct 15, 2019.

1. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

Are there any actual jobs outside of London or other major cities, apart from being a teacher, ie are there any middle/senior leadership jobs? I am trying to find such a job, but there seem to have been lots of fixed term teaching contracts in recent times; I have done such posts out of necessity, and now it looks like I do not want to take on a permanent role, which I think is going against me when trying to get a permanent job.

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

It will be very hard to get a middle leadership job if you're not currently in a full time or long term post where you can prove to interviewers that you know your stuff. They like things such as recent value added results to prove that you're effective and they want recent experience in the classroom and evidence of initiatives that you've been involved with. Try to get a permanent teaching job first.

install likes this.
  3. speaker2

speaker2 New commenter

So, being a full time teacher up to the end of the academic year 2019 does not count , because it was a short term , fixed term post? Seems that all the mat posts advertised are therefore helping the person on mat leave, but rubbish for the teachers who get appointed to fill the gap. And prior proven experience at SLT /middle leader counts for nothing either? How short sighted schools are being if that is what they actually think.

4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

It could count, It depends on the school and the subject and how recent your middle management experience was. It also depends upon where in the country you are looking.

In Lincolnshire for example it's taken me five years to find a permanent mfl role, despite being a foemer HoD as mfl vacancies are rarw here.

But many schools do want data proof, recent exam results as evidence for middle management roles. Just keep applying.

install likes this.