1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For any trainee primary teachers...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by thedancingqueen, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Can I ask roughly how long you spend writing each lesson plan and preparing the resources when you're on placement please? Obviously, I know that this is going to vary hugely from one lesson to the next but I just mean as an estimate. I've done part of my final teaching placement and now have two weeks off for Easter. I am so determined to do a really good job of this placement that I have really been putting the hours in but it's meant that I'm getting less sleep which I'm not happy about. I am without fail, up until the early hours each morning. I find that doing the lesson plans is pretty quick and I try my best to be organised. What takes the time is preparing/buying/making the resources and flipcharts. I want my lessons to be exciting but it would be nice to have some time for relaxation as well. I've been told that I need to be more confident and look like I'm enjoying placement more but the class teacher I feel, couldn't be further from the truth. I don't wear my emotions on my sleeve but I've really enjoyed teaching so far. There is room for improvement but it's been a year since I was last on placement so it takes a while to get used to the routine and to get to know a new class.

How many hours (as a very rough guide) should be devoted to planning each lesson would you say?

2. For me it depends on the lesson, what the learning objectives are, how easily the kids will grasp it, and what resources I plan to use.
    Some lessons take about half an hour if I am using text books e.g. abacus, whereas often spend at least 1 hour to 2 doing others.
    I have spent days on preparing resources for just one lesson.
    For my observed lesson for a job application I was literally cutting and sticking things for a whole weekend.
    It will differ for everyone I should think. I try to get lessons planned as soon as possible at weekends for the following week so I have a clearer idea of things and how they should pan out/
    This half term has been incredibly long, so I understand how you feel right now in terms of just being absolutely nackered