1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

For all the bullying Deputy and Assistant Heads. Congrarulations.

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by is2, Mar 11, 2016.

1. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

2. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

No response???

Feeling guilty???

Good. I seriously hope so.

RedBedHead94 and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  3. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Hi. Just read the article. Glad you have directed people to read this and good on you for doing so. I think it should be spoken about more. There is so much of it going on now and I can speak from personal experience of someone I know who was bullied out of their job. The amount of staff turnover was ridiculous and I have always wondered why this is not picked up, questioned or tackled more.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

I'm really glad you posted this thread. There was another one posted on Workplace Dilemmas in a similar vein which was shut down before many could comment. It was more strongly worded. If we as teachers can't openly comment on an education forum about what is happening in some state schools in the UK, it's a poor indictment on how we view ourselves. As a teacher I would never accept that bullying was OK between children, but bullying is happening on a daily basis to teachers by members of the SLT and Headteachers. Whilst I agree that not all of them are at it, if you read these forums, and other education press you will find that there is more than enough of it going on to be worried about it. No doubt I will be given a b*******ing for commenting on this. I have been before, and reminded that as a new commenter I should know my place. I have been reading these forums for years, and after what has happened to me, I really want the bullying of teachers by other teachers to be exposed. As someone recovering from severe WPS caused by a vile SLT, which has ruined my career, I am still working out how to do it.

5. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

A previous head teacher I worked for once had a go at ateacher for something she had suppoedly done. When the teacher asked if she were allowed to give her version of events, she was told by the Head that she wasn't interested in hearing her point of view. Ten minutes later, thesame HT told a dinner lady off for telling a child off without listening to his point of view first.

6. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I know someone who was told to go straight to the headteacher's office following a lesson. She sat him down and proceeded to tell him what he had done wrong. When he tried to tell her his point of view she shouted at him and said' Get out. You are just not listening. Go and sit in the corridor whilst I calm down!"
    This person was a 43 year old teacher who had been teaching for 20years!
    Who do these heads think they are. They may be a head but their staff are human beings with feelings. Disgusting!

7. whodareswins

whodareswins New commenter

'I really want the bullying of teachers by other teachers to be exposed. As someone recovering from severe WPS caused by a vile SLT, which has ruined my career, I am still working out how to do it'. My HT was fully aware of bullying and harassment by AHT . I ended up finishing work with physical illness, mental illness, no confidence, suicidal and am still mentally scarred and struggling to move on. I don't know how the HT sleeps at night...

8. Caligraphy

Bless you. It's horrible isn't it. I'm well out of of it now and developing my career in other directions. I've heard that the school and HT are still at it, with another member of staff also on the way out.

9. anon8956

anon8956 New commenter

Yes, how long before the truth comes out?

10. Caligraphy

Well, It won't. Ever. Staff who leave are effectively gagged on leaving because they are so scarred, and scared of not getting another job, a reference or other myriad reasons that are put in place to shut them up. Until there is a method of speaking openly about what has happened to individuals, nothing will stop. Sad, but I believe its true.

yellowflower and Scintillant like this.
  11. brighton56

brighton56 Occasional commenter

How dare you put all deputy and assistant headteachers in the same category. There are many excellent school leaders out there who work incredibly hard for the children and staff.

12. Caligraphy

Why are you using such a hostile tone to a fellow teaching professional. With posts such as this I think I rest my case.

eloisefour4 likes this.
  13. brighton56

To be honest, I am very tired of hearing people on this site moan constantly about SLT. Advice to new teachers on the forums is to avoid them like the plague. There is a disproportionate amount of negativity on the forums - perhaps because a lot of teachers who have not encountered problems in the workplace have never felt the need to use TES.

Now don't get me wrong, bullying is unacceptable and I completely understand why so many posters feel the way they do towards school leaders. A lot needs to be done to rectify these problems. BUT let's stop the generalising that SLT are all young, inexperienced and bullies who suck up to heads and make teachers lives a misery.

14. anon8956

anon8956 New commenter

The original post is titled to the BULLYING [SLT]. If you are not part of this subset then the post is not aimed at you.

collinssteve446 and Caligraphy like this.
  15. anon8956

anon8956 New commenter

Tired of hearing this stuff...you are not forced to be on this site etc.
    Your advice to new teachers is to avoid us ... Or avoid the truth?
    Fair point about disproportionate. In retail , a good experience tell one person, a bad experience tell ten
    I accept your point HOWEVER, there are simply too many cases on the raw data for this issue to be ignored. Also if we get into the stats, how many other problems are out there, but the victims are yet to find forums like this
    I have been bullied for over two yrs and yet have only just found this forum. Also I am often surprised by how many teachers do not know their rights and the latest news (of the type Ofsted mythbusting for example). This is because they are too busy/ stressed to make sure they are properly informed.
    I write as one who may well be forced out of the profession by this time next year. What have I done wrong you ask. Nothing except remain a classroom teacher for too long and not go for promotion, thus being an expensive member of staff. I realise that SMT have their own job concerns, however many recent applicants have gone into SMT with eyes wide open since general academisation
    You have to ask yourselves (SMT) whether you are part of the problem or solution.

henrypm0 likes this.
  16. Caligraphy

Maybe you can start by showing an example on here of how you apparently 'completely understand why so many posters feel the way they do towards school leaders' . If that is the case, I am terribly sorry that you have experienced the same vicious and personal bullying that has ruined my previously successful career. If you haven't experienced what many posters have done at the hands of SLT, then you really do not 'completely understand' what it is like.

17. brighton56

Ups3, you make valid points and I don't disagree with you. We need a solution to the problem but I don't always think 'SLT bashing' is the way to go. I am sorry to hear about your current situation in your school though. Wishing you all the best for this year.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. brighton56

Caligraphy, it is not my intention to argue with you. I am very sorry about what has happened in your school. I just get a bit annoyed when everyone moans constantly about SLT yet I know there are good ones out there too. I wish you a very positive year and hope things get better.

19. anon8956

anon8956 New commenter

Wishing you all the best to
    ...SLT bashing (your phrase ) is a symptom of the frustration and powerlessness ordinary staff feel. Grievance policies etc don't actually work. There is no real procedure for truth -without serious consequences for the whistleblower. Why are there so many settlement agreements and gagging orders (rhetorical)
    A solution would be to have a data base - ratemyheadteacher etc in which anonymous comments could be left. Some of course would just be vindictive sour grapes, but a certain level of negatives relative to other schools (like yours) could raise alarm bells for Ofsted - to look at the management NOT the teaching. Obviously the management in your school would have nothing to worry about.
    Regards
    ups3

20. brighton56

I would support a website such as what you have suggested.