1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foot of our stairs - I AGREE with Wilshaw!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Middlemarch, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/wilshaw-and-dfe-ebac-collision-course

Those of us who were in teaching when Thatcher's government introduced the original National Curriculum know that it forced all pupils to do the same subjects up to GCSE. That didn't last long and the so-called "entitlement" to the same curriculum was changed - because it was STUPID. Michael Gove and his even more dim successor Nicky Morgan believe it's a matter of (this makes me bark with laughter) "social justice" to force all kids to do the same academic subjects. Wilshaw says they're wrong.

TL;DR Wilshaw thinks it's wrong to force all pupils to do the all EBAC subjects to age 16 and says he thinks that a fair few - even higher ability pupils - would do better with E, M & Sc plus other (including vocational) subjects.

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Strewth! Room for me at the foot of your stairs?

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Now I have to check my sources, but I'm fairly sure you don't have to have them all doing the ebacc subjects. I think it disqualifies you from an outstanding or something trivial. As all the rules for any project or initiative have been discreetly changed over the last year to say 'schools which are good or better', (instead of restricting them to schools which Ofsted calls outstanding) all the outstanding grade conveys is yet another opportunity to spend valuable money for children's education on more ego boosting and unnecessary 'competititve' advertising on billboards and inside local newspapers.
    All the billboards in my town are plastered with rival schools' posters. But the thing is, they are all done on cachments - you either live near the school or you don't. There is no need for this poster, for competition or indeed the Ebacc whilst I'm finally back on the subject. It's all ideological nonsense.

4. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Why the obsession with keeping Eng, Maths and Science?
    For sure Literacy and Numeracy are important skills, and a healthy STEM take up is important to our national economy, but I really think that we need to start to think outside of the box here.
    Certainly I don't think that studying English Literature / Equations / anything on the Science curriculum is more important than Humanities / Languages / PE / the Arts / Tech / Voc Ed. Yet looking at my old school's website, it appears that about 60% in KS3, and nearly 70% of a student's timetable in KS4 is crowded with those 3 'core' subjects. How dull! What the poor blighters do with the rest of the 30 / 40% of the timetable (and no doubt on a Monday morning / Friday afternoon) seems to me to be almost irrelevant.

aspensquiver likes this.
  5. Middlemarch

The trouble is, every time there is any sort of discussion (it's been happening for years) about 'curriculum', everyone weighs in with "I don't think you get through life without..." and the week fills up.

aspensquiver likes this.
  6. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

Compulsory EBAC ??? Including a foreign language? Where will we find the teachers.... round and round we go again.
    Of course Mr Wilshaw is right... it wouldn't suit everyone. We might as well force Newport County to play in the Premiership, then slate them for coming bottom.

7. yasf

Yet surely the argument is that key skills, especially literacy and numeracy, are best acquired through a range of different subjects. (or even, heaven forfend, activities that do not fall directly within any one particular subject!)

Also, surely the issue is more the idea that GCSEs for all is irrelevant, rather than the specific subjects. If a student was to take GCSEs in the 'core' plus a range of other non Ebacc subjects, that would still be setting them up for failure if they were from what my old school used to call "Pathway 3".

As it stands the whole anti-Ebacc movement seems to equate to an anti-Humanities / MFL thing, which given the rise of immigration / UKIP would seem to be two rather important subjects.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    drek likes this.
  8. Middlemarch

Agree totally with you, yasf.

yasf likes this.
  9. yasf

Excellent. All we need to do now is to get you to swap jobs with Nicky Morgan. :)

10. Middlemarch

I have a lot of time on my hands these days...

11. monicabilongame

I've managed to get through life without any qualifications apart from 'O' Level English Language & Art. The rest I did in my own time and under my own steam, including the degree, and GCSE Maths I needed to do the PGCE.

The degree and English apart, I haven't needed to use any of it (not that I had any of it in the first place).

On the other hand, I would have definitely found typing, carpentry, metalwork, gardening, cooking, electronics and car maintenance exceedingly useful - unfortunately my girls' grammar school didn't offer those courses.

12. yasf

As you only left school with English and Art O levels, couldn't one argue that you didn't reach a level of proficiency where you could have found the other courses you did of use?

I'm surprised that you didn't gain any transferable skills from the art.

13. monicabilongame

One could argue that I suppose, but it could also have been that I was too busy being a problem teenager to study properly and pass them - although I should have done. All the subjects I did I was v. interested in, and have remained so... and one of them was the subject I did the degree in.

Well I did teach Geography for a bit - colouring in came in useful there.;)

Didactylos4, snowyhead and marlin like this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The current vogue - in some circles at least - is the core knowledge curriculum and cultural literacy as popularised by Ed Hirsch and favoured by Nick Gibb in some sort of form.

It sort of runs counter to the large body of evidence that its high quality teaching rather than curriculum reforms that have most impact on learning.

snowyhead likes this.
  15. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

16. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Argh. Old thread.