1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Foods you always make and never buy.....and vice versa!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 18, 2020.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I know all of us on here are great cooks, but once in a while we all cheat.
    Baking my quiche today made me think what things would I never cheat with? What would I never buy ready made?
    So, quiche is on my list for starters. I love making pastry and find bought quiches wet, tasteless and not worth the calories.
    Alongside quiche would be anything made with pastry......pies, tartes, sausage rolls.
    Cakes...................never buy a shop cake.
    Obv sourdough bread.......never buy and always bake.
    Yorkshire puddings...............Aunt Bessie is a fraud and should be thrown to the dogs!
    Hummous.
    Coleslaw.

Foods I usually make but will sometimes buy include natural yoghurt (some fab Greek ones out there), curry (Costco make some epic ready meal curries that are as good as homemade. We often keep one in the freezer for CBA moments), ice cream (especially for affogato), guacamole, pizza and jam.

Food I usually buy but sometimes make include sausages (love making them but a bit of a faff!), breaded camembert/brie, pickled onions (my poor eyes!), chapatis and naan breads, onion bhajis and fresh pasta.

What about the rest of you?

primarycat likes this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I always make macaroni cheese. I never make chicken Kiev. More rules may come to me.

bombaysapphire and BelleDuJour like this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Never make quiche but never buy mince pies. Never buy burgers but never make fish cakes. Never buy gravy or sauce mixes but rarely make jam.

Marshall and BelleDuJour like this.
  4. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I never buy bread, cakes or biscuits. I’ve given up with sourdough but my little gift from Belle makes a lovely split for my my tin loaf or bloomer bread.

I’m not sure this thread will show me in a very good “cooking at home” light but what we do buy we don’t ever buy cheap, if that makes sense? I don’t mean that in a boastful way. We buy our meat from the butchers, flour from the ‘no plastic’ shop etc. As I’ve got older I’ve become more aware of where our food comes from and that in turn has made me look further afield than Tesco.

nizebaby, lindenlea and BelleDuJour like this.
  5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Stuffings. Mincemeat for mince pies and then the pies themselves. Christmas pudding. Bread sauce. There are probably more that I always make.

6. BelleDuJour

I always make Christmas puddings, mincemeat and mince pies, stuffing, bread sauce and cranberry sauce........forgot all about the Christmas stuff.
    I also cure my own ham as it is much nicer and less expensive than bought stuff!

7. BelleDuJour

When you next visit Belle Towers I'll give you a sourdough lesson and a starter. Don't give up....it's easy as anything!!!

nizebaby and bizent like this.
  8. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Stuffing! I forgot about stuffing! Always make it now!

9. BelleDuJour

Mayonnaise................there's another one!
    I have made it.
    But it's a bit of a faff and there are so many excellent ones out there I just buy it now.
    I usually make my own vinaigrette because it's so much nicer, but we do keep a bottle of Paul Newman's stuff for emergencies.
    Never shop bought meringues either....yukky white, oversweet and explosive!

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Great idea for a thread. I'll think and duly contribute!

BelleDuJour likes this.
  11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I never buy pasta sauce. It's pretty much the only thing I always make myself.

Most other things I sometimes buy and sometimes make, depending on my mood.

Oh, I've never made my own pizza from scratch (bought pizza base and added toppings, sure).Or croissants.

12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I'm not in your cookery leagues so I buy most stuff that others make, some of the time,but I draw the line at
    Omelettes
    pancakes
    Baked potato

I never make
    Pasta
    Pastry
    Veggie sausages

Everything else is 'sometimes'.

13. sagesund

sagesund Occasional commenter

Always make my own tea-cakes, sweet/savoury pies, scones and jam.
    Always buy yoghurt.

14. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Never make curry. Never buy pizza.

Most of the rest depends on time. Buy bread during the week, make it if I have time at the weekend.

Since lockdown and working from home I've done more making at home and less buying in. Have even tried yogurt, plus nachos and tortillas (both kinds)

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

My homemade yoghurt is never as nice as proper whole-milk greek stuff. I have bought some muslin for straining but haven't used it yet.

I confess to buying puff pastry, but only if it's made with butter. Things like cakes, biscuits and jam I just do without if I can't be bothered to make them myself.

Nizeman uses up spare egg whites by making mayonnaise with it. You might be surprised by how good it is.

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I make practically everything, however as there's just the 2 of us, it's not practical to make things like jams and marmalades as we eat them so rarely. I do buy muesli and other cereals, biscuits, but not that often. We grow most of our own vegetables, but do buy potatoes and veg when we have none.
    When I was working I used to buy the cup soups for lunch as well, very useful in winter,

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Lots of things I do occasionally make, but usually buy. Like:

Pasta
    Ketchup
    Pesto
    Baked beans
    Mayonnaise
    Burgers
    Bacon and ham
    Fish fingers
    Muesli
    Jam/marmalade
    Biscuits
    Pastry (hot hands!)

Probably lots of other things.

And things I occasionally buy but usually make:

Bread
    Cakes
    Curry pastes
    Pizza
    Chips

I'm sure more will come to me! It's usually more a time thing than not being @rsed. Or being too tired after a day at work.

And whilst most of our bread is homebaked, we've usually got a bought loaf of decent sliced stuff in, as it's more practical for the daughter's packed lunches than the homebaked sourdough, which really is best toasted once it's a day or so old!

18. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I agree with these.

Most of these too. I do like to make most things from scratch at Christmas.

Otherwise I never say never. I rarely buy ready meals. I prefer to batch cook and freeze. Tesco do a good lasagne though which can be useful in term time.

I make curries and we get takeaways. I make most of our cakes but will buy from the bakers. It's the same with bread and we keep a loaf of Hovis in the freezer for emergency toast.

We usually buy ready made custard. It keeps better when we are eating a crumble over 3 or 4 days. I make the crumble though.

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yep. Ready made custard is lovely but bought stuff is great in an emergency, or as you say, for eating a few days later.

All bought custard, as well. The pale, posh stuff, flecked with vanilla, the thick yellow stuff in tins and cartons, and even the powdered stuff. All has its place!

Same with ice cream. I love homemade ice cream but always have some freezer. I can't always predict when I want ice cream!

semolina29 likes this.
  20. BelleDuJour

Ooooh.........more things!
    I never buy custard, always make it but usuallu because we have lots of egg yolks in the freezer after making meringues, and of course we are never short of eggs with our own chickens.
    Always make chicken kiev.
    Always make mac 'n cheese.
    Usually make burgers but sometimes buy them.