1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food :-)

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sensorysurvivor, Feb 29, 2016.

1. sensorysurvivor

sensorysurvivor New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am currently looking at creating a menu for a day nursery... I am wondering what everyone's favourite foods are within their setting or at home that is suitable for children from weaning to school age?

Thanks in advance :)

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's a tall order.
    Weanies' food is very different from that required/enjoyed by 3/4-yr-olds.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I don't really understand what you're asking for. Food that we like that children also like? That's a bit weird, surely? I like fish fingers and so do most young children. Ditto pasta. Is that what you mean? Wouldn't you be better off doing a proper focus group with parents of young children?

4. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I agree with the above commentator that a more focused approach would be more appropriate.

However, I have 3 young children who have or have had nursery meals and school dinners and the most popular things are fairly standard traditional things:
    sausage, mash and veg
    Pasta
    curry and rice
    Shepherds pie and veg
    Fish and 'chips'
    roast dinners
    jacket potatoes with various fillings

puddings wise:
    fruit and yoghurt
    angel delight
    cake and custard
    rice pudding
    tray bakes or biscuits

No idea if that is helpful or not. As for children weaning needing different food - what bunkum! :D

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We don't use the word 'bunkum' on here. On cookery we are all nice to each other! We all know what Inky means.

6. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

blooming nora - censorship :rolleyes: there was no harm in using the word b***um, blimey tongue was firmly in cheek

That was my answer as children weaning can eat exactly what all the other children eat in exactly the same form.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think that's a matter of opinion, though. Baby led weaning works for some people; others prefer the more conventional mashing and shovelling. We did a combination of both: we just didn't have the time for ours to sit there and gum a pork chop for an hour every time she ate.

Mashing and shovelling or baby-led both work just fine. It just depends which one fits for you.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Can they? Can a12-month-old really manage food in the same form as that of a three-year-old?

First I've heard of it.

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's known as baby led weaning, Inky. It's a relatively new idea. The concept is that weaning children are given all of their food in the same form as everyone else (minus salt, of course) that they pick up with their hands and eat themselves, whatever that may be - pasta, cooked carrot, pork chops, whatever. It will involve a lot of gumming of food and it's a far slower process than the traditional mashing and shovelling in of food. Obviously it's quite messy too. The theory is that it makes for less fussy eaters but I doubt there's any conclusive evidence.

It's one method though. It works for some people. We did a combination of both - shovelling because we didn't have hours for each mealtime and bits of cooked pasta/fruit/veg etc. that she could pick up because she enjoyed doing that as well.

As with virtually everything regarding small children and babies though, there's more than one way to do things and there are no hard or fast rules.

10. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

I think that it worked for mine, now 24, 29 and 32. I'm such a big fan of Penelope Leach's Your Baby and Child from Birth to Age Five that I tracked down a copy (1978) for each of them.

Here's Penelope: Give your baby a spoon as soon as he will take one from you, even if he merely bites and waves it. Let him do what he wants ....by around 8 months he wil sometimes manage to dip and lick it... later he wil actually eat off it - sometimes.... use a second spoon yourself and be preparetd to swap your loaded one for his empty one...
    Positively encourage your baby to eat with fingers. If you let him dabble ... and then suck his fists at 6 months, he will soon learn to do it on purpose. You will be able to slow down your spoon-work to let him get as much food for himself as he can.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

My son had very much the same food as me, and almost never ate commercial "baby foods". That was in 1979. I pureed stuff at first and gradually led up to chunks etc.

I'd never have given him Angel Delight!