1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by physicsgirl, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Sounds very similar to my LO at a similar age. He took to food really enthusiastically and cut himself back on milk quickly. Your meals sound great, I wouldn't worry about the puddings if they are not really sweet things, fruit pots and yogurts are good. If he's not being sick after meals he probably just likes eating a lot right now. I wouldn't worry about overfeeding if the food is healthy and he is keen.

2. My daughter was a foodie and I worried constantly about her not having enough milk. She seemed to survive though anf at 2 id still a good eater (who drinks a bit of milk!). I used to put loads of milk in things and eventually resorted to quash to get enough liquid down her.

In terms of the one that won't eat are you trying to get him to eat pureed veg or pureed meals that you would eat? My daughter just blew raspberries at just veg. Also they dont need teeth to eat finger foods. Try strips of banana, toast, organix carrot sticks.

3. I am on phone by the way hence the typos :)

4. He's 6 1/2 months. He's def not constipated, does on average 2 or 3 poos a day!! Mine is bottle fed and was on 4 feeds a day (8,3,7,11) until the last couple of weeks when he won't have the 3pm one so I've started a snack then instead. Am making this one dairy based so at least that's more calcium for him!
    He will take a sip from the cup now but hardly takes any water at all! Would you persevere with the water or give in to juice (obviously from a cup not a bottle!)

5. Hi - thanks for the ideas for finger foods. The organix carrot sticks went down very well. We've been doing mainly pureed fruit and veg and porridge though have just decided to move onto more 'proper' food as at least then if he will only take a couple of spoonfuls they will be more dense in calories and nutrients. Hopefully it will click soon that food is actually quite nice.
    I managed to get him to drink water by giving it him straight from an open beaker - he thought it was hilarious and very grown up. Messy but at least some goes in.

6. AHH, now he won't have is morning milk! He just isn't interested in milk at all. This morning he had 3oz of his 7oz bottle, so I poured the rest on his Weetabix but he only ate half of this. He absolutely refuses his afternoon milk now, so is only having on average 5oz breakfast, 6oz bedtime, 5oz at 11pm. We were hoping to drop the 11pm feed but I don't see how we can when he is having so little in the day. Any thoughts??

7. Hello.
    My little boy went through a phase of refusing to drink his bottle (now he loves it but refuses solids!) and I found he drank more if he was well away from distractions. They are so nosy now that giving up the time to drink a bottle is quite a tall order. With morning milk have you tried giving it him in the bedroom as soon as he gets up with the curtains shut etc almost like a night feed? Just a thought - I'm certainly no expert having had trouble feeding mine since birth whether breast, bottle and now solids!

8. blueone

blueone New commenter

My goodness Bruno, my J is exactly the same! I have been weaning him for about a month and so far he has been having breakfast and lunch, He got weighed a few weeks ago and the HV advised to keep him on 2 meals a day for a few weeks incase he went too big (he's on 98th centile!!) Anyways, he has totally gone off his milk and has been dropping oz for a while now. he used to be on 4 8oz and one 6oz bottle a day, he is nowhere near this now. This is our little routine now is;
    7-730am-7 oz bottle
    9-10am- breakfast which is weetabix with pureed apple
    12-1pm another bottle of which he has been leaving an ounce or two so only having 5-6oz
    3-4pm- pureed veg (carrot, sweet pot or parsnip) and milk. But for the last few weeks he has only been having half a bottle so about 3-4oz
    7-8pm: 7 oz bottle and bed
    What i have really noticed is his disinterest in the lunch and tea time bottle. I dont know weather to offer him half, a few oz or water or what?? is this the right pattern to follow so eventually they should only have a morning and night time bottle? Im quite confused!!!

9. Hi sorry it's taken me ages to reply! I had J weighed at clinic last week and he is 20lb 2oz! He's on the 91st centile nearly (he was 7lb 6oz at birth and only on 25th-50th so gone up quite a bit!) HV said that she wasn't worried but we should keep an eye on it! She wasn't concerned about him only having 12oz or so of milk a day as he is having such a good balanced diet, so thinks we should def drop the 11pm feed as he isn't waking for it. I am scared of doing this, as we have always done it so that he doesn't wake in the middle of night for feed, so we have gradually reduced it and we now on 3oz. HV said that some babies take to weaning really well and then only see milk as a drink, which is what J has done. He was never keen on water so I have started to give him 1oz of milk in his cup with every milk and he sips this like he would water with his meal, so he is getting extra this way too. I am thinking about moving him onto follow on milk if dropping the dream feed is successful, because if he's only having 12oz a day I would prefer he had this to ensusre he's getting all the nutrients (he is obviously getting the calories as he is a right chubster!!) He is obsessed with food and went mad today when we were having a BBQ at my mum and dads and he only got a yoghurt and a piece of bread!

10. blueone

blueone New commenter

Hey Bruno
    We dropped the dream feed about 2 months ago now and he (touchwood) hasnt woken in the night for a feed. He was all over the place with the amount of oz he had for the DF, sometimes it would be 2oz and others it would be 6oz. Anyway, we stopped it one night and he hasnt had it since. We did it on a weekend just incase he woke up so we wouldnt be tired!!! Ive been giving J milk in a cup with his breakfast, he has been drinking a little, probably less than an oz but he is used to holding it and understands that it has liquid in it. Although most of it ends up on the walls and floor!

11. You can count his yogurts, cheese sauces and cheese towards his milk intake.
    I found this on the internet:
    Rough equivalents to 200 ml of milk (about seven ounces):

• <li style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;">40 g cheese<li style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;">200 g yoghurt<li style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;">a cup of custard.
    My LO loves yogurt, and I know he doesn't eat 200g, but a couple of 40g pots would equate to almost 3.5 oz (by my awful maths). I've never made him custard, but he gets milk in cereal, milk in cheese pasta sauces, cubes of cheese with meals. He currently takes 3 bottles (7.30, 3.30 and 7). each is 8 oz but I'm seeing that at 9 months now he tends to not finish the afternoon one and sometimes has missed it altogether if he's snoozed through so I htink he might drop it soon.

I usually give him
    7.30 8 oz bottle (drinks about 6 or 7 normally)

9.30 breakfast - weetabix with mashed banana and milk or readybreak with some puree mixed through. I give him some finger foods while I;m makingbreakfast - ususally chunks of fruit

12.30 lunch
    again, finger foods, toast or fruit or veg, rice cakes. a portion of a wee dinner I;ve made him - annabel karmel's recipes are great , yogurt

3.30 bottle, as discussed he'snot that fusse don this now

5.30 tea - same as lunch really

<address style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;">7 pm 8 oz bottle (guzzles this)</address><address style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;"></address><address style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;">I worry about how much he's eating too - he would usually have what would be about 2 thirds of a large jar of babyfood for his main meal and then yog and finger foods. </address><address style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;"></address><address style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;">He is a big baby, bigger than some of the one year olds I've seena nd people mistake him for older because of his size. </address><address style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;"></address><address style="padding-bottom:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;">Tommee Tippee cups (baout a pound something) were best for him learning to drink. Soft spouted ones just led to him pulling the spout between his teeth. His new trick is shaking the cup so water spills on the floor. More mess! As someone else said, they stop when they're full so don;t fret about overfeeding. </address>