1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

food you want but can't have

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by pixieperson, Apr 1, 2011.

1. I have awful tonsillitis and have barely eaten for 3 days. Even the softest of soups/yoghurts etc are painful. So why is it that I'm totally craving the following?
    -crunchy peanut butter
    -buttered toast
    -salt and vinegar crisps
    -anything lemony and acidic

I.e, the sharpest, sorest things I could think of. Is it just me or does anyone else crave stupid foods that they actually really shouldn't want?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I can't chew or eat anything that requires my mouth opening wide. Trigeminal Neuralgia is the cause and I've had it for 4 weeks, would love to be able to eat even a sandwich but a hunk ofa baguette would be wonderful.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Feel sorry for you, must be very miserable. Hope you're well soon.
    Not quite the same thing, but about 3 years ago I had a sinus problem which resulted in me losing my sense of smell, and therefore taste, entirely which meant I was unable to taste absolutely anything at all for about 6 weeks. Needless to say I was thoroughly miserable, and actually bordered on depressed at times!
    I found that as well as covering everything with pepper, which allowed me to taste some heat at least, I craved foods with interesting textures, so that I could get at least some sensory gratification from my food. I also ate nearly everything with my fingers (subconsciously at first!), again to get just a little sensory pleasure from my food. Fried, breadcrumbed or battered foods were good, as was salty food.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Sorry to hear it's ongoing, lapinrose. Hope you mend soon.

5. You are not alone!
    Some weeks ago, I had dental work done at hospital, and was told to hold off anything spicy...guess what I craved more than anything!...but then I always enjoy spicy foods.
    And I can't eat cheese (well, most cheese...some I can manage...) and there are times when I would happily sell each and every member of my beloved family into slavery for just one slice of cheese on toast!....I am reasonably bright. I know what effect cheese will have....so why do I get these unreasonable desires?

6. lapinrose - I hope the meds start working really quickly so you can get back to normal!

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Apparently it can take up to a week for the effects to kick in, I've been put on Tegretol, I just want the pain to go for good, still I've lost 3 lbs!! Only another couple of stone to go, trouble is I can eat chocolate, it just dissolves in the mouth!! But I can't eat apples or anything crisp.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Oh, and guess what's been demanded for dinners, breakfasts and various other meals for the first week after the baby's born, by my wife who's been told she's not allowed rare steak, liver, soft eggs and mould rinded cheeses for the last 8-odd months, and has been off chillies (meaning no Thai red curry, her desert island dish!) and green vegetables.

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Hmmm...let me guess!
    Looks like you'll be busy during your paternity leave [​IMG]

10. Poor lapin.

I have just had a yoghurt. First thing I've eaten in more than 24 hours and it was just so unsatisfying I'm not sure it was even worth it especially considering I'm now in pain again.

11. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Indeed, it looks like it will involve lots of changing nappies and cooking lots of things that my wife demands, so here's hoping I don't get the two mixed up in our inevitable exhaustion!

Having said all this, we are equally prepared for beans on toast and omelettes being staple meals for the first 6 weeks of our baby's life, given that it's apparently so tiring, with lots of fingers crossed for good weather so we can eat in the beer garden of the local, with baby wrapped up in pram!

12. egyptgirl

Mr EG is craving pork really, really badly. He obviously can't have any this week as Mum's here (can't even sneak in a bacon sandwich as he's with her in the daytime!). No pork is being served at our wedding so it'll be at least the honeymoon before he gets his hands on his beloved pig!

13. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

That's my eldest's birthday!!

14. Are you having a church wedding?
    Do we get to see piccies?
    (I suppose you could do a Lily and cut off or blank out the faces). I wanna see the dress and the cake and the ring!
    And we want to see the foooooooooooooooooooood!

15. I can't eat wheat, but I could happily eat hot buttered toast right now.

And of course chocolate is on my wish list for Easter Sunday!

Good luck for Saturday EG, have a lovely day and remember every minute of it.

16. egyptgirl

Thanks for the good wishes, Steffi xxx