1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food to build fight

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 8, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Almonds. Almonds are fantastic. Also oats.
    Why not make him porridge and serve with toasted, flaked almonds and blueberries. Yummy and all superfoods.
    As regards meat, turkey is a bit of a superfood too.
    H, remember what I said to you. I really mean it xxxxxxxxxxxx

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Dear H, so sorry to hear your news. Been there, done that with my husband and it's not a barrel of laughs.
    It was such a wretched experience that I've blotted out most of the memories of that time, but I'll have a chat with him tomorrow (he's away night fishing at the moment) and ask if he can remember what worked best for him.
    On the positive side - 13 years cancer free this summer and counting (and his was a really nasty b*stard).
    Big hugs and much strength to you all.
    xx

3. H - I also wish both of you much strength and positive resolve.
    My colleague is currently in Reha - she has had Hodgies three times and this is the first time in her life where her results post treatment have been ok. It is almost a year of remission now, for her.
    Fingers crossed xxx

4. Big hugs henriette - it's a rough time for both of you....make sure you're eating regulary and healthy too!
    I'd suggest keeping meals small - very small if necessary. Mum found even 'small' meals intimidating for a while. (She is doing amazingly now!)...but she would graze on small snacks paced throughout the day.
    Allow your oh to eat whatever he fancies - and be prepared for his tastes to change....just try and keep his diet reasonably balanced . There will be times when simply getting him to eat will be all you can do - regardless of how 'unhealthy' it seems (Mum still has sugar cravings - really biiiig sugar cravings!!) ...so try and get him to drink those healthy juices to get some vitamins in him!

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

When we're under the weather or have overindulged somewhat, we frequently eat this, and it gives a real boost! I'm aware that those circumstances are somewhat trivial compared to yours, H, but it really is a lovely salad, and makes us feel cleansed from the inside out!
    It's Leon's Superfood Salad, from the first Leon book (Leon is a chain of healthy fast food restaurants in London, co-owned by Allegra McAvedy. She co-wrote the first book - both books are great and full of healthy, quick meal ideas, as well as being beautiful books.)
    Link for the book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leon-Ingredients-Recipes-Allegra-McEvedy/dp/1840915021

Recipe (the quantities suggested are a little over-prescriptive; I use a freer hand):
    Superfood Salad
    Serves two
    200g broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
    120g peas, fresh or frozen
    100g cucumber, cut into slim batons
    100g good-quality feta cheese, crumbled
    20g alfalfa
    20g toasted seeds (we use sesame, sunflower, flax and pumpkin)
    50g avocado, cut into pieces
    30g quinoa, Fairtrade if possible
    Small handful flat-leaf parsley, rough chopped
    Small handful mint, rough chopped
    2 dessert spoons lemon juice
    4 dessert spoons extra virgin olive oil
    Put the quinoa in a small pan. Cover with cold water plus about an inch then let it gently simmer until the water's gone - about 15 minutes. Spread it on a tray to cool to room temperature.
    Put an inch of hot water into a saucepan with a pinch of salt and cover it. Once boiling, drop in the broccoli and peas and put the lid back on. Drain after three minutes and run the veg under cold water to take all the heat out and keep them good and green.
    Now build your salad in layers, starting with the first ingredient on the list and ending up with the dressing (but only dress it just before you eat it).

Lots of love and wishes, H xx

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

The latest news is not bad.
    The biopsy on the leg melanoma suggests no further spread.
    The Consultant Plastic Surgeon is "not too worried" about the new lesion on his back but will take it out anyway.
    He thinks our operation date is 21st June (will confirm), so we wait for that and the biopsy on the lymph nodes and we <u>might </u>be OK.... I say "might" because he has been suffering from a number of symptoms that suggest it <u>has </u>got into the lymph. We'll see.
    Fingers crossed. In any case, we'll know by July!
    H
    xx

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

..oh, and I got some Goji berries ("not awful") and he has eaten some meringues today (super good as he doesn't have a sweet tooth!!) so there is <u>some </u>protein!!

Supper is a chicken tagine which he suggested - lets wait and see! I doubt he'll eat more than a mouthful or two.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

When I got my diagnosis, I really didn't feel like eating - I'd eat bits here and there. I was just out of my mind with worry. All you can do is carry on being encouraging and supportive. I really hope his diagnosis is a good one, H. xxx

9. My mum was addicted to chocolate when she was going through chemo, she also loved comfort food type dinners, shepherds pie, fish pie etc, but small meals. She doesn't touch chocolate now she is in remission.
    Lots of love and luck and healthy vibes x

10. I'm sorry to hear about your husband.
    I bought the original Superfoods book. I don't have it any more but some of the superfoods in it which haven't been mentioned yet are oats, onions and garlic. Its worth hunting down a copy as it has a specific section for convalescence/recovery which was borrowed by a friend of my parents when he was recovering from cancer.

11. Two of us already mentioned oats! [​IMG]

12. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

Hi Henriette, really sorry to hear about your situation. I went through something similar with my Dad a few years back.
    I would be VERY wary about advice concerning 'superfoods', there not really 'super' just foods with higher than average levels of antioxidents and there is no medical research evidence at all in their role in the treatment of cancer. if your husband's appetite is poor (chemo and morphine or any other opiates) can really affect appitite as they slow the bowels down considerabley.
    Foods with a high calorie content will be much more beneficial for him to keep his strength up than goji berries and the like. Mash potato with loads of butter, toast with the same, chocolate, or stuff fortified with milk powder.
    Smallish portion sizes can also be very important so he's not put off immediately when seeing a large meal in front of him. In short small amounts of high calorie food, often.
    I think the best thing you could do is get a referral to a dietitian who can have a thorough look at his diet and make practical suggestions as to what improvements you can make. There are also medical supplements that he can have prescribed by your GP, high protein and calorie drinks that have added nutrients to them. They can really help!
    I would also have a look at the cancer research uk site, they have some very good pracical advice:
    Above all I would take the advice of professionals not someone who's heard that goji berries are great. There's a lot of misguided and unsubstantiated advice out there so you need to be careful who you listen to.

13. Nobody has suggested that Henriette only feeds her husband on superfoods.
    Nor is Henriette that daft as to just do so.
    She was looking more for a few ideas to get him eating (and being a caring person she wanted suggestions of healthy stuff) and perhaps a few "boosters".
    Whether superfoods or not - nothing that has been suggested is bad food and nothing has been suggested as a replacement for other foods.
    This is true - but research is ongoing.
    It has been proved that the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals contained in these foods kill or stop cancer cells in a laboratory setting.
    Obviously a human body is much more complex than a petri dish but there is no need to completely ditch the theory either - every little helps.
    This is from the uk cancer research site:

Laboratory studies on nutrients in our food are opening the
    way for more scientific research. We are funding studies to understand
    how the chemicals in some foods affect cancer cells. This could form the
    basis of potential new cancer treatments.

We are funding Prof William Steward
    and his research team to look at the curry spice curcumin, which could
    be useful in stopping cancer cells from developing. We are funding
    early-stage research to see whether high doses of this chemical are
    tolerated in humans and whether the cancer-preventing effects remain.
    Again, this doesn&rsquo;t mean that curry can help to prevent cancer, since
    curcumin is just one of the chemicals in a curry.

We are also funding Prof Peter Sasieni,
    to study a supplement called di-indolylmethane (DIM) in a clinical
    trial called CRISP-1. DIM is found in vegetables such as broccoli,
    cauliflower or cabbage and has the potential to prevent cervical cancer

14. I realise that this isn't directly relevant to your oh, but it's a good trick for anyone who's a bit poorly and off their tucker.
    Homes for aged people, who are notorious for not eating properly, serve normal sized meals on over-sized plates. The quantity looks less so the old dears tend to eat it rather than say they "couldn't manage all that".
    If his problem is with taste and smell, this won't work too well. But if he's just a bit weary and fed up, you might be able to get a bit more into him.

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

You understand me so well, CQ!
    We are doing better on the eating at the moment.
    I have taken on the cooking again (he was doing it originally and found tha he didn't want to eat what he had just coooked) and we have been getting "those" juices + "that" dried fruit into him as well to help build a bit of get up and go.
    Actually, the other day he decided he was positively hungry - for chips!!!