1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

food technology

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by legoland2, Oct 27, 2011.

1. I will be teaching food for the first time soon, could anyone advise me on what to include in a half a term(7 week) food unit for y7. They will have seven (80min) practical sessions and 4 non practical lessons. can anyone advise on what is most important to include. Thankyou

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Essential like using the cooker, washing up properly, working neatly, puttung stuff away dry and following instructions.
    I usually start with health and safety, plenty of DVDs, PP's available for that. Using a knife to make fresh fruit salad, using the hob and grill to make scrambled egg or beans on toast, using the oven to make scones. Believe me they do need to learn. One yr 7 lad told me he knew how to use an oven, he said you put the stuff in and when it goes ping it's ready.
    I'll look for my yr 7 Sow, it may be on resources. But you need to mix basic instruction and use of equipment and ingredients with some basic nutrition, health and hygiene and a bit of creativity.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No it's not, but pm me an email address and I'll send it to you.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Sorry on phone but I've uploaded this if it's any good?
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Y7-A-6-week-LTC-Booklet-PowerPoint-6057206/
    X