1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food Technology- Does your school provide ingredients for students?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by anoshaugh, Jun 8, 2011.

1. School currently asks parents/guardians to provide ingredients for all recipes. We provide some basics i.e. oil and with some recipes like L2C fajitas we provide garlic, chilli, salsa for a small fee.
    Students are increasingly forgetting ingredients or I am receiving notes to say finance is an issue at home. As students cook in pairs if one doesn't bring ingredients this can mean two students have to do theory work. So if three don't bring their stuff this means six students with written work- can cause classroom management problems.
    Anyway, I am thinking from September of asking for KS3 for parents to pay a set fee and this covers all ingredients and containers to take food home in. Students cook for 2X 6 week blocks per year and make 6 dishes each year. I have ran the Year 7 recipes through a costing programme and it costs nearly £7 for ingredients per student and then takeaway containers would be on top of this. Does £10 a year seem reasonable? What do other schools charge? I am also wondering about FSM students, what do schools do with regard to chaging them?
    Also where do teachers get food delivered from as the quantities we would need, would need delivering.
    Sorry for the rable- any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks

2. We have found that generally parents will not pay £5 or more pounds in advance, however they will often provide 50p or so per practical so we work on that basis. We require that pupilsbriing their own containers for food. We generally ask for 50p for a baking practical but also often ask the pupils to bring in some of the more expensive ingredients such as chocolate chips, so if making rock buns I will provide sultanas and coconut as flavourings but the chocoholics have to bring their own. If we make something like fajitas I ask them to bring in thierown ingredients but will normally have some extra for pupils who bring in notes but this is usually the vegetarian option.
    In Gcse groups we do double lesson practicals for which pupils mostly bring in ingredients unless we are making bread etc. I try to balance out practicals needing a lot of ingredients with these cheap ones were they bring in 50p. We also do single lesson practicals where they bring in 50p again and we make products such as potato pancakes, caramel popcorn or scones.
    Interestingly we have found that if we ask for 75p the amount we get in drops off considerably, that it is better to ask lower ability groups for smaller amounts as we are more likely to get them and that the best way to get the money is to give the task to one of the pupils, they are all potential debt collectors :) As I understand it under the ECM agenda wie have to ensure that FSM pupils are provided with ingredients.

3. In our school the parents keep requesting that I provide all the ingredients. But as I dont have a technician the logistics are just impossible. I am on my knees as it is.

4. Thank you for all your relies, this has given me plenty to consider.

5. I am very lucky and have a full time technician who goes shopping once a week for ingredients.
    We use to ask pupils to bring a money for each practical lesson, however the amount of pupils forgetting or the time wasted collected money was silly.
    We now send a letter out to parents at the start of the module explaning what their child is making, how much each practical is and what container they need and ask for all the money upfront.
    I also explain it works out alot cheaper as we buy things in bulk.
    We have had no real problems - the odd few pupils still bring money in each lesson but more pupils are cooking than before.
    Year 7 do 6 practicals at a cost of £3
    Year 8 do 6 practicals at a cost of £5
    and
    Year 9 do 12 practicals at a cost of £9
    GCSE pupils tend to just bring in £5 and when that has nearly run out I inform them and they bring another £5 in.