1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food shopping woes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by theeditor, Apr 8, 2020.

1. theeditor

theeditor New commenter

Novice to once a week shopping found success for 3 wks . Sainsburys only used for top-ups kindly sent 4 £6 off a £40+ vouchers. Last week - hand sanitiser/ wipes with trolleys, shelves well stocked except for flour, till area wiped between customers, Few customers permitted entry so distancing simple. Carpark using alternate bays. Only minor negative was staff doing the picking for online in the way.

Early this am discovered the joys of Waitrose a branch I browse in weekly for treats. Greeted with a snake-like queue -think passport control -5 snake twists to get in but did move faster than the aforementioned airport facility! No evidence of the trolleys being sanitised - 2 trolley lads doing a carpark sweep and dumping their collection at the main pickup point. Couples are welcome.

Fruit & veg. Anyone for yellow looking tenderstem broccoli with reduced stickers? Want salad leaves? Cos or cos only - variation is the pack date . Did get padron peppers! Only buy fruit if you're a banana or apple addict.

Meat - Section full of 500g packs of mince with complimentary reduced stickers. A vegan's paradise. Fancied a bacon sandwich - brain ached wondering if bacon lardons work
    Home baking - baking decorations galore but redundant as no flour, sugar eggs etc etc etc.

Bakery - 4 shelves of toffee hot cross buns with the ubiquitous reduced stickers. Instore bakery section looked OK but I prefer the stuff made by my own fair hand.

Frozen veg - only baby broad beans and french fries and I wanted peas in my trolley
    Cleaning products - Only own brand detergent for black clothing and wool & cashmere Thinks will this do for sheets and towels? Remembered the under sink cupboard is looking after some for me so my black knickers can be cleaned. No bleach, and limited surface cleaning products.

Customers 1 in 3 understand social distancing. 2 staff at the end of each aisle close together chatting (is this why they're called partners?). Suspect they were the staff they've relocated from John Lewis.

Many customers with lists becoming zombies at empty shelves while the tannoy blurted out words which effectively said hurry the fork up so we can stuff more people in.

Belts at the tills not wiped down as in Sainsb - have they run out of their own sanitiser. Bloke at till was lovely.

Crisis left my MyWaitrose card at home so no free paper - happily not such a catastrophe - only the Daily Fail in stock.

Excuse SPAG Rant over Sorry for long post

ajrowing likes this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Going to any major supermarket is an ordeal at the moment.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sorry you had such a dreadful shopping experience theeditor.:(

I am so glad I use small village shops. I rarely go shopping at a supermarket, for which I'm really grateful at this time.

agathamorse and needabreak like this.
  4. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I went yesterday for ourselves and a vulnerable friend to Tesco. Apart from flour I didn't see any shortages. The staff were doing a really good job but I despaired at some of the customers. 2 ladies overtook me then stood in the middle of an aisle for ages debating over things like air freshener fragrances. I stood well back and waited. Another lady ignored the arrows on the floor and came towards those of us going the right way. A gentleman seemed never to have heard of social distancing! A few others seemed in such s hurry that they came far too close too. I'm glad I shan't have to go for another week. What don't they understand?!!

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A lady passed me yesterday with a trolley that contained nothing but many large bottles of spirits.

It's going to be a hell of a party.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Our farm shop is sending out some good stuff - delicious cucumber, courgettes and broccoli.The onions were so enormous though and the gluten free bread was more than twice as expensive as in Waitrose! Would love to go back to my usual Sainsburys but its a smaller shop than Waitrose and a bit cramped. reduced opening over the bank holiday so will do a quick check today to make sure I'm ok up to next Tuesday.

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

The Tesco one way ( no way ) system was flawed given they had closed down two aisles.I found some of the staff quite aggressive in trying to implement something which was unmanageable and then ( adding insult to injury ) chastising customers .... I did attempt to draw this to the attention of one of the assistants but she either did not understand / pretended not to. Suspect I shall have to take my black belt in queuing elsewhere ?

8. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

The local Aldi has hand sanitiser, wipes and spray outside the store for public use and is severely limiting numbers in the store - great. But inside was frustrating. A small but significant number of people who either stopped for a chat in the middle of the aisle or pushed past impatiently. Plus a couple of others with teenage children (why?) who just didn't understand social distancing. But plenty of food. The only item which seemed to be missing was hand soap.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

bombaysapphire - I noticed the lady in question had several bottles of the drink that bears your name.

Always reminds me of anti - freeze - I would never dare drink any.

10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Its a lottery. I tried 5 supermarkets on one day last week, I couldn't use 4 of them, for various reasons, queue to long, no confidence in the queuing system, NHS only... the fifth one was a total bonanza! all shelved half full ( imagine how weird that would have sounded at Christmas - hooray! I've found a supermarket with shelves half full!) hardly any shoppers

I disinfected all shopping when I got home

agathamorse and ajrowing like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's no need to do that - there really isn't.

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I've got a system now. I go to the grocery first, dining to get to the co-op for when it opens to the public at none. The co-op is a complete lottery but they do usually have head and it's nice. If I can't get most of what I want I go to Aldi. It's all quite civilised but frustrating only being able to use the shops in the village with a fairly limited choice of everything. But much nicer than going to big shops, I'm sure. I've never been a fan of Aldi but it's been a godsend to the village since all this started.

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

My Waitrose experience was totally different, yesterday. No flour, though.
    Not that I bake.

But, I did stock up on bread flour and yeast, well before lockdown. I shall make a loaf today.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

This needs saying.
    Developing countries where people already strive on a daily basis for sub optimal nutrition levels are experiencing real fear through this already scant supply chain being compromised. This affects millions and millions of the world population.
    I wont list the countries. We have the internet to look for ourselves and to make prudent and personal choices about the charitable support we might be able to give.
    Clearly on a thread bemoaning the wrong lettuce in Waitrose, this sentiment wont be well received.
    It just needs saying. It wont disappear. I am reporting it here.
    Because it is there. And under-reported.

I'm sure somebody will respond by saying "but these are real difficulties for me"
    Maybe so.
    But I cannot watch pearl rattling over pebble scrabbling without blurting it out. My bad,

15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Sounds like broomsticks are needed, we can prod away the ignorance.

sabrinakat and susanrk like this.
  16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

To be fair many of the posts here are about the distances and safety measures not lack of the right lettuce, whatever that is.

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That's certainly not the case at the Waitrose I use. Trolleys cannot be taken into the car park (they have porters for people who need a carry-out) and handles are sanitised between every use. Most things (other than bread flour and yeast) in stock - or at least acceptable substitues, and a full selection of newspapers. Mind you, this is first thing in the morning. I could believe shelves get depleted during the coruse of the day. Staff nattering away at the ends of aisles has always been a problem in Waitrose, though - they seem to spend hours discussing shift rotas!

agathamorse and border_walker like this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's been a week since my last shopping trip. and I'm hoping it'll be at least another week before my next. When the fresh greens run out we'll start on the tinned.

Waitrose was my last destination, Sainsburys the week before that. Sainsburys at the time was a free for all in the aisles, Waitrose was more controlled at the entrance, but in both shops some of the staff were paying no regard to distancing. I normally shop in Aldi - maybe I'll try there next time. At least I know where to find stuff.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We went yesterday - it was calm - just a bit of a wait to get out again.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I went to Sainsburys yesterday morning, hoping the clothing part would be open so I could pick up a couple of t-shirts for the warmer weather as well as the few bits of food I wanted. The queue went all round two sides of the car park. Trolleys left abandoned all over the place and total chaos seemed to be the order of the day with people arguing over the trolleys. (Social distancing out the window when fighting for a trolley!)

I didn't bother to park and drove back to Waitrose, thinking I'd get some t-shirts online.

Shortish queue of singles spread rather more than 2m apart, so grabbed a trolley, dumped my bags in it and my coffee (brought from home) and settled in to read my book while I waited. Grumpy trolley man from Waitrose practically had an apoplectic fit at me for 'risking my life and that of other people by taking a trolley that hadn't been sanitised.'
    Ooooops!
    Gave him the trolley and he went off muttering away.

Other than the queues, I'm loving the empty shops and, now panic buying has stopped, heaps of reduced food as well. It's just the different trolley rules for different places that get me in trouble!

Nanny Ogg and agathamorse like this.