1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Food prices set to rise

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jan 29, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-12312249
    Pig farmer Peter Mortimer, who has 250 sows at Metfield in Suffolk, said: "It's unsustainable (not to pass on the costs), quite honestly, if we don't get an increase in prices before long, the industry faces a disastrous situation.
    "Give it six months on and we will be in despair. I think that whole industry would if we don't get the extra money from the market place. Unfortunately I think it's the end of cheap food."

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The increase in petrol/diesel costs mean that everything else goes up, nso food prices will rise as fuel prices rise. Plus the cost of feed, wages may have to go up, Vets bills, cost of seeds, costs of production. In short the Government has come up with a scenario in which we will all end up poorer.

3. modelmaker

Unless you happen to own a supermarket chain.

4. And on a tangent, but related - I was watching a programme the other night. It has been calculated that the average family in Europe throws away over 500 € of food a year.
    Little point in ranting about food prices if you place so little value on it that you just chuck it into the rubbish bin.
    Buy with perspection and eat with gusto.
    It is a disgrace to buy and then throw it away without eating it.
    It is also a disgrace that so many potatoes, carrots and other veg do not even make it to the supermarket because they are the "wrong shape"!
    Discounters etc. have led us to believe that food comes cheap - it doesn't.

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Bravo, celticqueen. Spot-on, every word.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Again, off on a bit of a tangent but I believe the key is planning. I make sure my fiance and I eat proper food, ethically sourced meat and fish. Tomorrow, I am going to a farm shop where they reduce down their meat and fish on a Sunday morning. It's beautiful in quality and when they reduce it down I probably pay less than I would at the supermarket so I stock up and portion it up for the freezer.
    In the summer (and some of the winter), we predominantly eat homegrown fruit and vegetables - I plant enough so that I can freeze it for the winter. Why? Well, its cheaper but I know that chemicals haven't been sprayed on it. I can get it out of the ground maybe 30 mins before I want to cook it - I'd never get that freshness anywhere else.
    There is no need to waste food if you plan properly. Of course life gets in the way sometimes and I'm not saying I'm perfect but seeing the way some people waste food is more than annoying - it is purely selfish.

7. I cannot bear waste and even the whiskery carrots that sometimes make a break for freedom and hide in the bottom of the veg box get used up.
    Egyptgirl is right - planning is key to reducing waste. I plan meals for the week and shop accordingly. I am flexible enough to take advantage of bargains but do not shop at random.
    We are all going to have to be much more careful about our food consumption. As increasing amounts of land are given over to growing to produce biofuels instead of crops, the prices will rise even higher.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Spot-on as well, egyptgirl, but I suspect you're preaching to the converted as far as this forum goes [​IMG]. I get upset if I allow so much as half a lettuce to wilt and have to be be binned!
    Of course, the irony being that fact that the low food prices we've had for the last 20-30 years or so are precisely the reason that most people no longer know how to get the most from every last scrap of their food; plan a week's meals so that they shop efficiently; cook with cheap cuts of meat; eek a spontaneous tasty meal out from odd bits of veg/leftover meat and storecupboard standbys.

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Erm, eke, not eek!

10. egyptgirl

It's OK, Nick - it made me laugh!

11. modelmaker

Looks like we shall be back full circle to where we were during my childhood then.
    The article tells us the cost will rise as the demand for animal feed in China has increased. As was demonstrated in the Shark Bait thread, this demand is fueled by increased prosperity among the Chinese. I imagine that in time, China will become better at producing its own animal feed restoring our prices to levels that are affordable to our farmers and supermarkets will be able to screw them mercilessly again.

12. Whilst I am not disputing that demand in China is increasing, that does not negate the fact that we in the West waste food. Thousands of tons of it. The butter mountain was not a myth and we have got no better.
    THOUSANDS of potatoes never make it to sale - they are left in the fields and if you can be bothered to go along with a basket or two, you can have them for free as the farmer cannot sell them.
    It is ridiculous that we (generic - I certainly do not include myself or posters on this forum in that) expect food for a penny but ever greater quality and a particular size and colour. There is nothing wrong with a potato which is not perfectly oval! There is nothing wrong with a carrot that is not perfectly straight or a forked parsnip!
    (I shall refrain from my pet topic and the Chinese manipulative grain policies as I got into a right argy bargy about that one on Opinion!)

13. And considering the way we treat humble vegetables, it doesn't bear thinking about how we treat animals.

14. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

On a slight tangent - did anyone see the 'burger' that was in the papers yesterday? Some fast-food place in Shropshire offers a burger containing 2 beef patties - each weighing a hefty one pound! - a couple of chicken breasts - another eight ounces...half a dozen bacon rashers...mozarella cheese...a couple of potato waffles...battered onion rings...plus salad (ok a couple of lettuce leaves and a slice of tomato! slathered in mayo!)...all teetering inside a large bap!
    Noone needs to eat that much for one meal...let's face it, there's a month's worth of meat in that as far as I'm concerned!
    Portion sizes need to be controlled in restaurants (and I appreciate the monster burger is probably a promotional gimmick!) - I rarely manage a full portion on the rare occassions I go out.
    Why this obsession with huge portions of tasteless food without an ounce of nutrition?
    Let's get back to cooking reasonable portions of real food!

15. egyptgirl

I hadn't seen that, Beth. It's disgusting when you think about it. My fiance and I did some volunteer work last summer - we went to work in some slums, giving vaccinations .etc. and to see people starving or without the basics like clean water and it is a badge of honour for some people to eat nearly 2lbs of meat in one sitting as a "marketing gimmick" - well, it makes me sick.

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

An <u>excellent</u> thread! Agree with every single point in every single post.
    I think we should all be snapped up as govt advisers forthwith. We'll sort the buggers out!! [​IMG]

17. My mother (from Bangladesh) will not even allow a grain of rice to escape in the sink when being rinsed because to a Muslim, food is to be respected and to waste food is 'haram'. I can't bear waste, but it does mean I used to eat up all the kids' scraps and now I'm too plump! I must sort out portion sizes.....

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

A family member has been serving her children the same size portions of dinner as she dishes up for her and her her husband since the children were about 5!
    I've tried to explain that children don't need 3 large sausages and a whole pile of mash...but she doesn't want the children to feel 'deprived'.
    The result is that the children either clear their plates (not healthy for them!) or she eats their scraps (not healthy for her!) or she scrapes the remains into the food-scrap bin (so a waste of perfectly good food, an insult to the animals and the farmers, and throwing away some of her hard-earned wages!)